Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Block UI Styler types

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello to all,

Could someone explain me what is the difference between these two types of Block UI?

img10.png

I am using Dialog type as default option for each of my applications.

Best,

Danijel

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Difference between Block UI Styler types

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Did you check the documenation yet? It contains its own chapter for the User Defined UI Block and as the name suggests you can create you own custom block type to be saved as DLX.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@Beetle wrote:

Did you check the documenation yet? It contains its own chapter for the User Defined UI Block and as the name suggests you can create you own custom block type to be saved as DLX.

Hi @Beetle ,

Yes I have checked but I can't figure out the purpose. I have always used "Dialog" as a type for my applications. What is a purpose of using it?

Highlighted

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

The documenation is pretty clear and says:

User Defined UI Block (UDB) is a custom block similar to a dialog, containing a set of blocks where the behavior is governed by its automation code. After you create a UDB (dlx file), you can use it on the dialog like a standard block.

It also shows a sample to Create an UDB .

Getting simple, let us assume you create a dialog with 3 blocks - SelectObject, Color, String.

If you need this complete thing multiple times for different object types, it ends up with n*3 blocks and it will get difficult to handle them just by their id.

But you can create you own custom block that combines all 3 single blocks and you only add your own blocks n times (with 3 sub items each).

The UDB is also saved and loaded as .dlx file but not a complete dialog rather than a piece of a dialog.

Does this make sense?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@Beetle wrote:

The documenation is pretty clear and says:

User Defined UI Block (UDB) is a custom block similar to a dialog, containing a set of blocks where the behavior is governed by its automation code. After you create a UDB (dlx file), you can use it on the dialog like a standard block.

It also shows a sample to Create an UDB .

Getting simple, let us assume you create a dialog with 3 blocks - SelectObject, Color, String.

If you need this complete thing multiple times for different object types, it ends up with n*3 blocks and it will get difficult to handle them just by their id.

But you can create you own custom block that combines all 3 single blocks and you only add your own blocks n times (with 3 sub items each).

The UDB is also saved and loaded as .dlx file but not a complete dialog rather than a piece of a dialog.

Does this make sense?

Clear. Thank you so much for the clear explanation. I will try it for sure.

Best,

Danijel