cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export to step from file on the network

Legend
Legend

Hi,

I've a journal that export to step. If the file is on my computer, the export works fine. If I open the same file from a network, the journal fail.

Thank you...

Using NX 11 / RuleDesigner PDM

10 REPLIES

Re: Export to step from file on the network

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

It always helps if you describe what the failure looks like.  Is there an error?  Do you just fail to get an output file?

Here is a non-scientific guess, because I don't know what your failure looks like:  what happens if you map this drive, instead of using the UNC path?

step214Creator1.SettingsFile = "\\PDM\PDM_CORGHI\Custom_RD_NX8\NexionSite\FileConfigTranslators\step203_export.def"

Re: Esportare al passaggio da file in rete

Legend
Legend

SteveLabout wrote:

It always helps if you describe what the failure looks like.  Is there an error?  Do you just fail to get an output file?

Here is a non-scientific guess, because I don't know what your failure looks like:  what happens if you map this drive, instead of using the UNC path?

step214Creator1.SettingsFile = "\\PDM\PDM_CORGHI\Custom_RD_NX8\NexionSite\FileConfigTranslators\step203_export.def"

Hi Steve,

sorry for the delay.

Attached the situation when I use this journal to export to step on file that are on the network (read-only).

If the file is on my machine, the journal works fine.

We are a big company and all our setting are shared. We don't use mapped drive, because each user mapp what need and the letter can be different. UNC is unique.

Thank you...

Siemens Phenom

I'm not sure I understand exactly what it is that is read-only.  If the folder where you want to write the exported file is read-only, then it would make sense that you could not write to it.  Can you help me understand the situation a little better? 

The part (.prt) being exported - is it open in the session or are you exporting from the saved copy on disk?

If it is the file on disk, is the folder available for readng?

Do you have write access to the target folder?

Will the exported file be brand-new, or are you over-writing an existing file?

Thanks!

Legend
Legend

SteveLabout wrote:

I'm not sure I understand exactly what it is that is read-only.  If the folder where you want to write the exported file is read-only, then it would make sense that you could not write to it.  Can you help me understand the situation a little better? 

The part (.prt) being exported - is it open in the session or are you exporting from the saved copy on disk?

If it is the file on disk, is the folder available for readng?

Do you have write access to the target folder?

Will the exported file be brand-new, or are you over-writing an existing file?

Thanks!

Hi Steve,

this is the situation: we are under a PDM, not TeamCenter, but works as TC.

We can open item that can be in release state or in check-out state. If they are released, they reside in a read-only folder or if they are in checked-out, they reside in the write permission folder of the user that had the checked-out.

If I open the item that it's released, the journal freeze like the image posted in my before topic, but if the item reside in my workstation, the journal work fine.

Thank you...

Siemens Phenom

OK, so when you open one that is released, and it is in a read-only folder, are you trying to create the exported file in the same folder?  Do you have some logic in the code to make sure that the folder where you are trying to write is available for writing?

Legend
Legend

SteveLabout wrote:

OK, so when you open one that is released, and it is in a read-only folder, are you trying to create the exported file in the same folder?  Do you have some logic in the code to make sure that the folder where you are trying to write is available for writing?

Steve,

the output folder is on my machine, in a folder with write access, usually my desktop. See the error image attached in my post.

Thank you...

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

1) Have you looked in the NX syslog to see if there are any errors?

2) IIRC, there is a syslog / log file created by the translation process - can you find that file & see if there are any errors in it?

I'm suspecting...there is some sort of temp / scratch file NX is tryng to create in the same folder as the part.  This then gets moved/deleted once the translation is done.  But if NX can't do it because the folder is "read only", then that may be the issue.

Try making a (test) copy of the file on a network drive that is in a writable folder, see if you app works then.

Maybe look at that folder as the translation is happening to see if any extra files are created.

Possibly in the translator "default settings" file there is an option to set the temp folder used for scratch files?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Legend
Legend

Ken_A wrote:

1) Have you looked in the NX syslog to see if there are any errors?

2) IIRC, there is a syslog / log file created by the translation process - can you find that file & see if there are any errors in it?

I'm suspecting...there is some sort of temp / scratch file NX is tryng to create in the same folder as the part.  This then gets moved/deleted once the translation is done.  But if NX can't do it because the folder is "read only", then that may be the issue.

Try making a (test) copy of the file on a network drive that is in a writable folder, see if you app works then.

Maybe look at that folder as the translation is happening to see if any extra files are created.

Possibly in the translator "default settings" file there is an option to set the temp folder used for scratch files?

Hi Ken,

you have right.

In any manner there aren't error in the NXsys log when I try to export file from read-only folder because the UG to STEP freeze, but I've done some experiment as you have suggested.

If the folder from I open the part is in read-only permission, the UG to STEP freeze.

Suggestion ?

Set some of tmp variable in the journal or in the .def ?

Thank you...

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I've about reached the end of my knowledge about STEP (I've never really payed with any of the translator .def files).

If someone where can't help, you could try logging a call w/ GTAC to see if the translators group has any suggestions...

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled