cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FILE PATH COMPLETE

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi guys,

I´m looking for a Journal to look for a file path (including) file name and extension it self.

I have an attribute with refers to an excel file path, and then this attribute I use to "fill" path, of ug_cell_read expressions. I just wanted a journal which alouds me to "change" excel file path by clicking on (like windows explorer).

Now a days, I copy the file path (containing the file itself, which makes me do several stpes before I can easy copy the full path..), open part properties, edit attribute and paste it.

Any idea?

4 REPLIES

Re: FILE PATH COMPLETE

Phenom
Phenom

It sounds like the OpenFileDialog might be useful in your situation. This link shows an example of its use in a journal.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

hi (sorry about delay.. but I I didnt understand the post back then I completely forgot about it),

I dont undertand that code... sorry no idea about programming.

i made you a little video showing what i ment to do.

thanks in admance!

I know is not big deal to copy paste file path and name name from its shortcut...

but I hope I could make it with a journal. I know I can do a journal to "autocomplete" attributes. What I wanted is that same journal, asks me for the file by selecting it, and then journal "read" file path, and file name and write attribute by itself.

weird explanation, I know... but as english is not my native language, this is the best I can do.

Thanks in advance! 

Phenom
Phenom

The "file open dialog" is still my answer. Here is a journal that uses it for a task very similar to yours:

http://nxjournaling.com/content/change-excel-file-expression-references

This journal will look in the work part's expressions for references to an excel file. When it finds a reference, it will prompt you to select a replacement file. The file dialog is used to get the path to the new excel file which is then used to replace the old reference.

For your task, you want to select an excel file and have the journal create/update a part attribute instead of searching/updating expressions.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

that was exactly what I needed!

thanks cowski