cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From tool path to face

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi all,

Is there a way to go from a tool path to a face that the tool works on?

Basically I'm trying to reach from Point to Point operation to the worked face, and this is the way I thought about how to do it so far. Open for suggestions too. 

Thanks,

Tom.

6 REPLIES

Re: From tool path to face

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Are you talking about (legacy) *drilling* "point to point" operations?

Or Holemaking?

or something else?

Legacy Drilling PTP has very limited support in API - you may have to use GRIP/NC.  You may be able to get the faces specified as top & bottom surfaces, but otherwise you only have points - and you would have to figure out surface(s) involved on your own (e.g. does arc center of hole in surface match the PTP drill point?)

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

From a CAM operation, the best you can do is know what geometry is selected or inherited. But since point-to-point is not supported, there is no .net, and you would need to use GRIP.

I don't know what you mean by "worked face". The only faces I know of in PTP were the top and bottom surfaces, which were optional selections. There were GPAs for PSTYP PSURF, so it may be possible to get some info out of the operation.

My real question is - what are you trying to determine? Is it what the user selected as part surface? Or is it what faces of a solid the holes are drilled in?

And of course, can you change to use a supported operation, like hole making or generic motion?  

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Mark,

First, thank you for your reply!

I'm trying to determine which faces of a solid the holes are drilled in.

The PRT files I handle with are all old, and therefore I need to do this on Point to Point operations.

I'm building an analysis tool, so the above is needed.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

As they are PTP drilling, you may need to do the data extraction in GRIP.

- see if a top surface is specified (in my experience it rarely is, but your data may be different)

- get point

- get operation's tool axis (if "normal to arc", you will have "fun" getting the tool axis associated to each point)

Then comes more fun (if you pass the data back from GRIP to API, the rest could be done in API program)

- if faces are planar, (assuming you are drilling normal to th surface) then the drill point *should* be the center of some arc on  the surface, so you will have to parse thru all arc edges to fiind the one with the same center.  If a solid body, you can then find the faces associated to the edge, and use the "planar" one.

- other cases you will be even more interesting.

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

In point to point, there may be no geometry selected at all. If you really want to do an analysis, you will need to position a solid model of the tool along the path, and detect which faces it intersects. This seems like a lot of work - what exactly are you trying to find out? 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If you want to know if all holes have been drilled, why not use 3D verify and check the excess material?

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community