Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

GRIP for Drilling operations and Sequential Mill

I have a large amount of drilling tool pathes that i want to run through and change the drill cycle parameters.

In total there are ~250 operations

In addition to the above i also have a large number of sequential mill operations that i would like to reverse the start and end loop stock.

I have written quite a few VB based scripts to automate various tasks.

All of the research i have conducted on GRIP gives examples of making points, arrays, math functions etc. All of which are things that are readily available with NX Open VB

Is there any information out there on GRIP for point to point and sequential mill operations?

Future plans to add support to such operations through the NXOpen VB, Python, or C programming languages?

Thanks

5 REPLIES

Re: GRIP for Drilling operations and Sequential Mill

Siemens has repeatedly stated there will be no added API support for PTP drill operations :-(((

Leaving customers like us to have "fun" using GRIP to deal with legacy parts.

Not sure about Sequentil mill, but I suspect it may be the same.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

I know they have said that, but they might have a change of heart at some point Smiley Happy
Clearly you and me have different ideas of "Fun"

Are any guides on GRIP available that outline the manufacturing functions aspect?
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author AppEngineer89
‎07-26-2016 12:20 PM

[ Edited ]

There is no .net support for the legacy point-to-point and sequential milling operations, so you need to use GRIP NC if you want to write an API program. Install the Programming help, and look for GRIP NC, or read it online:

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/data_services/resources/nx/10/nx_api/en_US/custom/gripnc/ind...

gripnc_help.jpg

If this is a one-time deal, and all the operations are the same, you might look at keystroke macros.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Thank you Mark,
This in not a onetime thing. I truly want a robust script that allows for user input and control. I also want error processing built in and for the output to appear in the listing window to provide the user feedback on what was completed.
I truly believe that the API should be expanded to Legacy operations. Sequential mill and PTP drilling are industry standard among the vast majority of aerospace users. I understand that Siemens has viewed contour profile as a replacement for sequential mill, and while it is a useful tool. There are times that our geometry doesn't play well with contour profile. That's where sequential comes out. There are also instances where Contour profile will drive a feature but allows for a large amount of C rotation when the tool axis is near 0,0,1 (AC Head style Machine). Where as sequential offers the user more control over such instances, The user can even go as far as driving the surface 4 axis if he so chooses.
The need for such control becomes very apparent on an AC or BC trunnion style machine.
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author AppEngineer89
‎07-26-2016 12:20 PM

AppEngineer89 wrote:
Thank you Mark,
This in not a onetime thing. I truly want a robust script that allows for user input and control. I also want error processing built in and for the output to appear in the listing window to provide the user feedback on what was completed.
I truly believe that the API should be expanded to Legacy operations. Sequential mill and PTP drilling are industry standard among the vast majority of aerospace users. I understand that Siemens has viewed contour profile as a replacement for sequential mill, and while it is a useful tool. There are times that our geometry doesn't play well with contour profile. That's where sequential comes out. There are also instances where Contour profile will drive a feature but allows for a large amount of C rotation when the tool axis is near 0,0,1 (AC Head style Machine). Where as sequential offers the user more control over such instances, The user can even go as far as driving the surface 4 axis if he so chooses.
The need for such control becomes very apparent on an AC or BC trunnion style machine.

No need to defend Sequential Mill - It provides the manual control required for programming aero parts. Contour Profile is OK for some applications, but is not a replacement. 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens