Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get Edges created by uniting two bodies

Builder
Builder

Hi together,

along my own little studies, my next target (after Previous topic) is to find the edge which is connecting two united bodies. To be more clear:

I have one large cylinder depicting Body A. I have a small cylinder with its center axis perpendicular to the axis of Body A and of much smaller size, e.g. like a boss/tube on body A. The second cylinder is created using a circle sketch and the extrude command with the "until selected" option, extruding it until it connects to Body A.

Afterwards, I am uniting both bodies.

My aim is to retrieve the "connecting" edge, so the edge which depicts the connection between body A and Body B.

My tries so far:

• Getting the Unite Boolean feature => feature.GetEdges()
    This approach does not return any edge. I guess this is due to the fact, that the edge is existing also before the unite command (due to the until selected extrude)
  • Another idea would be: Get the feature before the unite action, check all faces + edges, go to the unite feature (make current feature), check all faces + edges -> compare both lists. However, I am still not sure if this will get me the required edge.

Has someone any idea how to achieve this (in a performant way)?

Thanks so much!

2 REPLIES

Re: Get Edges created by uniting two bodies

Phenom
Phenom

My approach would be

- get all the faces of tool body before boolean.

- get the face data for cylindrical face and all its edges.

- get all the faces of body after unite

- compare face data for same radius and axis direction

- get edges for the matching face and sort out the required edge.

Suresh
Production: NX10.0.3 Developing: NX11.0.2.7, NX12.0.1
Development: C++, C# .Net, VB .Net, KF

Re: Get Edges created by uniting two bodies

Builder
Builder

Hi Suresh,

I went a similar way at the current state of my project. In my case, I am not evaluting the face types or face data, just comparing the faces and edges of all involved bodies and creating a DifferenceStructure to continue.

Thanks!