Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help with License Borrowing

[ Edited ]

Need some basic help with the License Borrowing.

We have three different types of Bundles all in one lincense file on our main server.

Looks like this:

I go to "Borrowing Selection" tab,  No Bundles are listed there but individual licensed packages?  Why not have Bundles there too?  Anyway....

I select of the licenses I want to borrow.  Assign the Return Date, select "Borrow License", The Return Date shows up:

What's the next step I'm missing?

If I disconnect the workstation from the network and try to start NX it says there are no licenses available.  Do I need to remap the License Server from the Main Server to the Workstation?

Does the workstation need to have License Server installed and running on it too?

Thank you,

Jerry M.

NX 8.5.2  Win7 64bit

6 REPLIES

Re: Help with License Borrowing

Jerry -

I don't have NX8.x, but you are "OK"ing the dialog?

In NX7.5, its not until you "OK" the dialog (and wait for it to finish) that the license is actually borrowed.

Hope this helps...Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Yes Ken, I do OK the dialog box after.

I just don't know what the next step is and cannot find it in Help Docs.

Restart the workstation?

Where & how the borrowed license resides? 

Do I need to point to it?

Not sure....

Jerry

[ Edited ]

After you OK the dialog, you should be able to unplug from your network (don't forget wireless) and start a new NX session.  I don't think you need to reboot.

I would assume the license stuff is held on the client using the software in the \ugfexlm\ subfolder (mechanism probably not published for security). (data might be stored in registry or wherever)

If you list the users of licenses using lmtools (from an on-network PC), there is a special indicator for the borrowed licenses.

If you have more problems, probably GTAC would be the best place to go.

Ken

Do you borrow the license with the user account that is actually using it afterwards?

It is not possible to borrow a license for all users of a system.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

I tried borrowing different licenses and nothing seems to work.

What do you mean by not all users can borrow a license?

I know we have borrowing option on our licenses... I might have to call the tech support see what they say.

What Stefan was saying is you can't borrow a license when logged on as "Joe", but then try to log on as "Alice" and try to use the borrowed license. 

Are you sure borrowing is turned on in your license file? (I'm pretty sure it is, as I don't think license are listed unless they are borrowable).  In the license file each increment should have the string "BORROW" in it .

See if the license server utility has a syslog, and look in there?

I guess also check on the license server and see if there is a OPT file.  You can limit borrowing in the OPT file as well (not allow certain features to be borrowable, or, if many copies of the same feature exist, you can limit how many can be borrowed)