Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to: get started, find documentation, get help

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @Yamada,

There is something that I missed cause documentation can't be found.
doc not found.PNG

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Yamada wrote:

That's correct. In NX12, the NX/Open Reference Guide for .NET is supplied in HTML format, not in CHM format, as in the past.

You don't need to be on-line to read the HTML document, though. You can install the document on your computer, which would allow you to read it off-line.

There seem to be mixed feelings about the switch to HTML -- some people like it, and some don't.

In the old documentation you could use the index if you knew the name of a function or the search if you didn't. Does the new documentation have similar capabilities? I've been poking around for a while now and so far I really hate it.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@cowski1 wrote:

In the old documentation you could use the index if you knew the name of a function or the search if you didn't. Does the new documentation have similar capabilities? I've been poking around for a while now and so far I really hate it.

I am not familiar with using this type of document for NX/Open Reference Guide for .NET languages (VB, C#, etc.) but first thing I was looking for is "Search" field. I am new in NX programming world and my first step is try to perform search by keywords of function. I have realized it's not possible with this type of document. Please correct me If I am wrong.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

You can initiate a search from here, but it will list results from all over the API documentation (.net, python, java, etc). I was hoping for a simple way to search within your desired scope, but have not found it yet.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

There is no built-in search function in the NX12 .NET Reference Guide. The Development folks understand that a search function is useful (I think), so I'm guessing that they just couldn't get it working in time for the release. There is a discussion of this issue in this other thread. Stefan Pendl has created an ER (ER#9030933) requesting a search function. You can contact GTAC and get your vote added to this ER. 

You can get Google to search a specific site. I haven't tried this approach, so I don't know if it would work.

If you're really unhappy, and you have a bit of free time, I think you can create your own documentation in any form you like. All the necessary information is in the files NXOpen.dll and NXOpen.xml. I think you could just feed these into your favorite documentation generation system (some of which produce output that includes a search function). I haven't tried this myself, either, so I'm not sure that it would work.

山田
yamada

Experimenter
Experimenter

@Yamada I have a same problem in c#, how i can compile a journal using  a external .exe, in my API i open a nx and execute a journal that i was created, but a Nx can't work my Journal in c# why? And is giving this warning  "System.DllNotFoundException: Não é possível carregar a DLL 'libpart': Não foi possível encontrar o módulo especificado." 

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for the reference guides!

Highlighted

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi @Yamada,

You content on getting started with NXOPEN is really helpful.

I have a quick question for you.

I have been working as a design engineer for my entire career, but i changed my field to application support recently (NX & Teamcenter).

I spent almost 6 months in learning Python to progress in my career. For example, creating some NX automation programs,  customize some commands on NX. However, I am not able to start working on these areas due to some lack of knowledge. I started making some journalling programs.

What would you suggest to become a good NX customization expert. I learned a programming language (not an expert), what should be my next step to become a application developer?

I am kind of confused right now. Thanks for reading my long message and I really appreciate your time.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

> I am not able to start working in these areas due to some lack of knowledge

It seems to me that you have already  started working on customization.

I would say that the key steps in becoming proficient are:

(1) Work through the tutorials in the "Getting Started" guides

(2) Read the rest of the "Getting Started" guides thoroughly

(3) Learn the basics of your chosen programming language

(4) Learn how to record journals, and find the code that you need within them

(5) Browse through the Reference guides to get familiar with the functions you're likely to need

(6) Study example programs, especially the GTAC ones and the examples shipped with NX

山田
yamada

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Yamada,

I really appreciate your time in answering my questions.

I will follow the steps as per your suggestion.

Thanks again.