Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to sign C# dll to use in NX 9?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,
I've developed a dll file for NX 9 through C#. However, I should sign the library that NX 9 can use my dll. I've searched at UGS_NX9\UGOPEN\ and found just "signcpp.exe", "signJar.bat" and "Sign.Jar" and I couldn't find an utility like "signCSharp.exe".
I signed C++ dll's for NX 7.5 by NXSign.exe before, however I would like to use C# libraries now.
How to sign C# dll in order to use in NX 9, guys?

10 REPLIES

Re: How to sign C# dll to use in NX 9?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I haven't signed .net dll's in years, but it is described in the documentation:

Home>NX Open>NX Open Programmer's Guide>License Checking

W10 NX11.0.1 almost NX12.0.0.27

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Depending on the NX release, you have either %UGII_ROOT_DIR%\SignLibrary.exe or %UGII_ROOT_DIR%\SignDotNet.exe

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Pioneer
Pioneer
Hi,

Use SignDotNet.Exe avaiable in "C:\Program Files\Siemens\NX 9.0\UGII" usual in case of default installaiton with OS being in C drive.

OR %UGII_ROOT_DIR%\SignDotNet.exe as mentioned by Stefan.

I did tried with it and it got signed.
However signing is not mandatory as mentioned by DJS.

i assume we will develop using dotnet.
Windows 7 x64
NX 8.5, NX 9.0. And also NX 7.5
Visual Studio 2010 SP1, 2012 Update 4

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Signing is needed to execute the DLL without a NXOpen author license, so if you have users with rare access to the license server, they will not be able to run your DLL.

Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Stefan,

Why depending on the release the difference between signing ?

If I sign in my DLL with NX 12 ; does this mean it will not work with NX 11 license (User  having limited access) ? 

Please let me know the difference.

Thanks,

OnkarP

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The different names of the executable to sign an NXOpen executable do not have any influence to the execution, the EXE has just been renamed to better reflect its purpose.

If you develop a DLL for NX 12 it is likely that you use NXOpen methods that are not available in NX 11, so I would develop the DLL in NX 11 and recompile it for NX 12 to avoid any problems with later added NXOpen methods.

Pioneer
Pioneer
Thanks for the information.
Just wan to understand the last 2 lines. Does than mean you need to have 2 different DLL's signed for NX 11 and NX 12 ? What we are trying is to sign DLL with NX 12 ( Not using any new methods ) and need that DLL to work with NX 11 also. That is not working for us. Is it due to different resource files for different NX ? Or is there any setting with which we can work with both NX 11 and NX 12 after signing the same DLL ?

-OnkarP

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The best way to avoid problems is to have one separate DLL for each NX release.

There might be differences in the signing process, but I do not know any details about the innards of the signing resource.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Many computer applications are forward compatible, but very few are backwards compatible. This is not at all unique to NX or any SPLM software.

With .NET languages, you have a decent chance of everything working in both NX 11 and NX 12 if you build and sign it in the NX 11 environment. I have many applications that I built and signed in NX 6 that still run just fine in NX 12. I have not rebuilt them in the past 8-9 years.