Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Inititating Knowledge Fusion and/or Journals through Batch files

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I am aiming to try and create an automated file maintnence process. I have both CheckMate scripts and possibly some journals that I would like to run under certain criteria.

I want to create a list of the models that need to be edited and:

1. launch a TCE-NX session

2. open desired file,

3. run the proper code on model 

4. save the file

5. Load next model and repeat process until the whole list is done.

specifically I want to launch this process via a batch file because batch files can be scheduled to run at any time.

Also, there are concerns that through automation and mass data manipulation, that there could be unforseen changes that take places. If something wrong were to take place we would have to go back and do fixes on hundreds or even thousands of models, which is infact a waste of time and money. Obviously we want to avoid unforseen changes.

My question is, what are some precautions you can take to avoid the changing the original model beyond the scope of the code? I guess one would assume that the obvious answer is, that the code will only do what you code it to do, but couldn't there be a chance that things might go wrong?

How do you guys recommend I go about doing this?

3 REPLIES

Re: Inititating Knowledge Fusion and/or Journals through Batch files

There's ways of calling up a journal when starting NX, as well as starting a TC session (I believe "-pim" option) - search here or in https://solutions.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/adv_search.php

for that

The "obvious" solution for being able to easily back out changes in a TC environment...

release the item rev, then save as the next rev, then do your work.

But that may cause as many issues as it fixes.

I would suggest (for each file you modify) you write a log of what you do (e.g. "23 curves moved from layer 1 to layer 10" or "found 15 empty groups", or whatever you are doing)

Then if there is an issue, you can hunt thru the log files to see which parts are effected.

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

The log file is a good idea, I will include that for sure. By changing the item rev status, is that the same as making a copy of the model before making changes to it?

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author junfan
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Yes.  When you release an item revision, that "freezes" that version of the model (although with DBA access, you can change anything).  Then doing the "Save as" to the next revision makes a copy of the part in the new revision.  So you can ALWAYS get back to the previous revision.

The issue is that this will change the revision of ALL your parts (including drawings!)

Do you have to do ECOs to change a drawing revisions?

Are there other references to the part revision in assemblies or other places?

If you refile a drawing, does it change in ANY way (note if you save a really old part in a new version of NX, some sublte things may change, such as rounding in dimensions)

Lots of things you need to think thru before doing this.

As another option...

You could always try expoting the UGPART "named reference" for each NX dataset (ugmaster, specification, altrep, etc.) to a "backup" area (outside Teamcenter), before you do anything.  This preserves the part EXACTLY how it was, but

- you need a fair amount of disk space

- If it contains any components or inter-part references (IPEs, WAVE links, etc.) the exported named reference part is not usable outside Teamcenter (which may be a good thing).

Once you check all the parts in TC are "good", the exported named references can be deleted (you might want to save a copy on DVDs or backup tapes, "just in case"....)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled