Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Instance vs. Occurrence

Hello everyone!

I studied the documentation on the assemblies in NX, but I still not 100% about the instance vs. occurrence question. I don't understand the role of each - maybe I missed something. It's more or less clear of occurrence is, but not quite clear what is instance. Could you please try explain?

8 REPLIES

Re: Instance vs. Occurrence

The occurrence is the component and the instance is the connection between the component and the parent.

One component (occurrence) can have multiple instances (positions), so in a car the wheel component has four instances.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

I thought that number of occurrences equal the number of instances. Is it wrong? At least I seem to be able to obtain the same number both for instance and occurrence.

See the SNAP getting started guide section about assemblies for further information.

Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1

I know this manual. The instance is exactly what is NOT covered there. Or at least I missed that completely.

[ Edited ]

Then you might want to take a look at the NXOpen C assemblies API guide, see the terminology and automobile example pages.

Looked at that one too, thanks. I more or less understand what instance is, but not 100%. Although I was able to use both instance and occurrence. 

If I am not mistaken, instances are not directly used in NXOpen .NET, everything is done through the component object.

It makes things much easier, if you have to deal with only one object instead of two.

[ Edited ]

Instance can be obtained and acted upon in NX Open .NET. For example, you may change its name. This is exactly what I did recently to work around some bug in NX8.5.