Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Is it possible to run two instances of NX at the same time?

Is it possible to run two instances of NX at the same time?

5 REPLIES

Re: Is it possible to run two instances of NX at the same time?

If you are running native NX (no PDM/PLM system attached), the answer is an unqualified "yes". If you are running Teamcenter (or other PDM/PLM), it can be set up to restrict this behavior. In this case, the answer depends on your setup.

Oh okay, I am currently running Team Center, so I guess I would have to investigate whether or not the Admins restricted this or not?

I should clarify...

I'm no TC expert, so I'm not sure if you can run 2 TC + NX sessions simultaneously (I kind of doubt it).

I have worked with a TC installation that would allow you to open a secondary native session of NX; so you had a TC + NX session and a plain NX session running simultaneously. Opening a secondary, native NX session may be restricted. Using a TC session alongside a native NX session is not the recommended daily workflow, but occasionally came in handy, especially when translating files.

If you start NX using ugraf.exe, native mode, you can start as many sessions as you want.

If you start NX using ugs_router.exe (I think bot native & TC), it TRIES to use an existing NX session

(check the command line options - search the docs for "ugs_router" or "ugraf" to see them)

In gerenal, unless you *really* know what you're doing, you *never* want to run more than one NX session connected to TC (and only 1 TC instance at a time too) (there's just too much chance of massive corruption). 

However, running one TC session, and any number of native mode sessions, is OK, as they don't share or interact.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

You can run multiple managed NX sessions concurrently, as we do this daily.

To do so, you need to start NX through %UGII_BASE_DIR%\UGMANAGER\ugmanager.bat

Starting multiple managed NX sessions from Teamcenter portal is not supported.

Starting with Tc 10.1 and NX 10 there should only be one Tc connection between any number of managed NX sessions, so it should be more safe to run multiple managed NX sessions concurrently.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community