Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Linked_Bodies and Components

Okay this is kind of a weird question.

You have an assembly.

And in this assembly there is a component called "ALPHA".

I linked in a body to the assembly from the component "ALPHA".

So if the component "ALPHA" moves in the assembly, the linked body moves with it.

Is there a way to programtically ask if a component has a linked body that is linked to it?

So for example I would give a Method component "ALPHA", and it would return true if there is a linked body to it or false, there aren't any linked bodies.

7 REPLIES

Re: Linked_Bodies and Components

[ Edited ]

"Is there a way to programtically ask if a component has a linked body that is linked to it?

So for example I would give a Method component "ALPHA", and it would return true if there is a linked body to it or false, there aren't any linked bodies."

No, part files do not record what other files reference it or its geometry. To return such a true/false answer, NX would need to open every part file that you have and check to see if it references the file of interest (which is pretty much what the "where used" function does in native NX).

If you wanted to, you could iterate through the components of the current assembly and build up a "map" of which files reference other files. You could save this information into a dictionary object and write a function that would quickly give you such an answer.

FYI: If you have a wave license, you can create "position independent linked objects" (PILO's) that would not move when the source object moved.

How would go about creating the Map?
That's not a bad idea.

Iterate through the components of your assembly, look through the feature tree of each component part file; the key of the dictionary would be the component, the value could be a list of wave features or list of components it references (or something else) depending on what information you need. This way, given a component, you can quickly access the links or whatever info you saved into the dictionary.

Note I think the "advanced assemblies" license include a browser (relationship browser?  associativity manager?) that show the assembly and what is linked where.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Interpart link browser and relations browser.

Not a hundred percent sure what that is to be honest.
Where can find it?
How do you use it?
Thank you.

InternBL wrote:
Not a hundred percent sure what that is to be honest.
Where can find it?
How do you use it?
Thank you.

The command finder will show you the menu items to launch it in NX.

The NX documentation will give you a hint about how to use it.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community