Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mapping attributes to the instanced bodies' edges

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Hello everyone!

Let's assume I have a body with attributes assigned to the certain edges of it. Is it possible to make instances of this body - for example, use Instance Geometry of NX8.5, and later use NX Open to obtain all edges in copies corresponding to the edge in the original body with the purpose of copying attributes across them?

3 REPLIES

Re: Mapping attributes to the instanced bodies' edges

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is any logical relationship between an edge in the instanced body and the corresponding edge in the original body. Neither one of them "knows" anything about the other.

So, if you want to make use of this relationship, I think you'll have to reconstruct it using geometric reasoning.

So, let's assume you know the transformation T that carries the original body to the copy. And you have some edge E in the original body, and you want to find the corresponding edge F in the transformed body. I'd suggest you calculate a few points P on the original edge, transform them to get points T(P), and then F will be the edge of the transformed body that contains these transformed points.

This is quite a bit of computation, and it might be slow, but I can't think of any other way to do it.

What about faces (as opposed to edges)? Do face attributes get transferred to the instanced bodies? If they do, this would be a big help in locating corresponding edges.

山田
yamada

Legend
Legend

I tried this in NX 8.  

Created an instance geometry of original body.  Later assigned an attribute to one of the edges on the orignal body and found that the attribute automatically copied to the same edge of the instanced body.  

Hope this helps.

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

I really did not see the wood for the trees with this one. For some reason, I thought that attributes are not copied with the instanced bodies. But they are! I tried with Instance Geometry, Pattern Feature and Mirror Body in NX8.5 and they all work. Thank you for pointing me at the obvious! Smiley Happy