cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX Part features

Creator
Creator

Hello All,

I was wondering if there's a way through which we can find out what all features are there in a part file without opening it in NX. May be there is a XML which contains information about features of a part file  and it can be generated without opening the part file. Does anyone know's about it?

12 REPLIES

Re: NX Part features

Genius
Genius

You can use run_journal.exe or run_managed.exe to execute a journal of exe outside of NX GUI.

Creator
Creator

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I do not want to run a journal outside of NX. Maybe I didn't frame my question correctly. I want to analyze a part file with respect to the number of features the part file has in it wihtout opening it in NX. For example if a part file has 2 extrude and 3 hole features, then with respect to this part file is there a way through which I can know that the part file has 2 extrude and 3 hole features in it but without opening it in NX.

Genius
Genius

You need at least to run some kind of program to retrieve this information from the part.

What is wrong with run_journal of run_managed?

You start it from the commandline and gives you the result without starting NX.

Creator
Creator

There's nothing wrong in using run_journal.exe or run_managed.exe.  But I guess for using these two programs we should have some sought of an input for these programs, so I guess for run_journal.exe we should give a journal as an input. But how and what should we record in the journal so that we come to know the features names and it's corresponding count in a part?

Genius
Genius

you need to build a custom journal that runs in NX and gives you the requested results.

The journal is not so complicated, but you cannot record the feature list, you need to code this.

When the journal works in NX then use the journal as argument together with the partname.

There is no fast solution for what you want.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

For the record, the following statement is incorrect:

"You start it from the commandline and gives you the result without starting NX"

RunJournal does start NX, only in a batch mode (no graphics). NX is running and consuming the same licenses that it would if you did the same operations in an interactive session.

Creator
Creator

Thanks for the expalanation. The above process defined by you is for run_journal.exe, Right? Do you know what is the use of run_managed.exe and how to use this executable?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Phenom
Phenom

"But how and what should we record in the journal so that we come to know the features names and it's corresponding count in a part?"

The following GTAC example shows how to work with the feature list of a part.

http://solutions.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/view.php?si=nx_api4995