cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX benchmark

Phenom
Phenom

The company that I work for will soon be evaluating various hardware configurations to help decide on the next round of computer upgrades. I was wondering if anyone had some benchmarking advice that they would be willing to share.

I found the SPECapc benchmark for NX 8.5. However, I was also considering creating a journal to run some tests on our own parts. I was thinking of doing an assembly clearance analysis and/or feature replay(s) to test the CPU; but I was wondering what commands would be good to use to exercise the graphics system. Creating drawing views? Shading a large assembly? Making all the components partially translucent and rotating the view?

7 REPLIES

Re: NX benchmark

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The best benchmark is done with your own parts, since general benchmarks are only giving general results.

To test graphics, switching from wireframe to shaded is good, use a part with the most amount and complexity of faces you have at hand.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Another is setting the current feature to the first feature, then back to the last feature, tests modeling.

For CAM, generate operations (you might want to track by operation type) and postprocessing times might be useful.

Not sure about drafting (placing views?  which might also be a good graphics test)

Opening / saving parts/assemblies can test disk/memory issues. 

This can be done with journals or macros.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Genius
Genius

also a quite stressful test could be to generate a new fem from a large cad assembly and measure the time it takes to transform all cad bodies into polygon bodies.

What do you and your users complain about the most when it comes to speed? That's where I would start.

If you want to test graphics in CAM, I would look at displaying part, blank, cut area, etc. Be sure to check displaying geometry selections that are hidden.

Be sure the parts have been saved in NX10 with display data. If not, run the tests, save the parts, and then run the test again with parts saved in the latest version.

Another area to look at is 3D verify. Run it at 9-10, then stop and wait for the resolution to refine on the display. I don't know where the bottleneck is here (NX, CPU, graphics), but it might be interesting to look at. 

For processing in CAM, path generation and postprocessing. In gouge check and area milling, you should see gains with multiple core, since they are the furthest along in multi-threading.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Phenom
Phenom

Thanks to all who responded. I should mention that I don't know of any particular complaints with our current hardware, but management is looking into laptops for certain people in the next round of upgrades. Based on personal experience, I think that laptops will work just as well as our current desktops for what we do. However, we need some data to verify that to the people who are signing off on the purchase.

If you go with laptops, be sure you get workstations, and not PCs.

We buy specific laptops for NX here - typically Dell Precision and HP Zbook.

Email me if you want specifics.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If you get into notebooks, make sure to buy the most powerful one you can afford.

There is no point in buying just the one that is sufficient for the current release, since it is hard to add more power to a notebook after you purchased it.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community