Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

NX10 License and compability

I know you can run newer licenses on older versions of NX, but I am wondering if there is anything special I need to be aware of when installing NX10 license to run NX8.5 software?

We are using one server license with multiple seats.  Currently running NX8.5.  Would like to replace the NX8.5 server license with the new NX10.0 license so that I can start testing NX10 while other users are still using NX8.5.

I've read about the changes in NX10 license and how the bundles are now stored in users' registry.  Not sure if that will cause any problems running NX8.5?

Thank you,

Jerry

NX8.5 Win7 64bit

17 REPLIES

Re: NX10 License and compability

It will cause no issue at all.

NX8.5 will still use the variables UGS_LICENSE_SERVER and UGS_LICENSE_BUNDLE.

NX10 can use SPLM_LICENSE_SERVER and doesn't use a bundle variable (AFAIK).

If you use the updated Licensing Tool (not LMTools) that comes with NX10, it will create the registry entries when you specify the bundle and also you can specify the license server details there as well (see image).

Anthony Galante - Senior Support Engineer - PhoenxPLM (Australia & New Zealand Siemens Solutions Partner)
http://www.phoenxplm.com.au/email/2014_signature/signature_videoCenter.jpg

NX10 will still use the ENV variable UGS_LICENSE_BUNDLE, although I don't know which is used if both are set.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

@Ken_A Are you sure? I did a quick test before posting my answer and it wasn't using it and I did some checking in UGAnswer and it suggests only the registry is used.

I'm happy to be proven wrong, because I need to know for my customers.

Anthony Galante - Senior Support Engineer - PhoenxPLM (Australia & New Zealand Siemens Solutions Partner)

From NX10 manual it looks like NX10 will still use the ENV variable UGS_LICENSE_BUNDLE (if it's defined) but only to store that information in registry.  Once it's stored in registery it no longer uses the variable.  I believe that's what the manual explains if I understand it right.

Jerry

Here's an FAQ I found in UGanswer

I do not have the registry setting set

If I set UGS_LICENSE_BUNDLE to one of our bundles, then start NX10

in the license server log file, it shows I used that bundle:

9:29:11 (ugslmd) OUT: "NX12300" akerb..@...

(also, in NX10, if I "File -> Utilities ->Select bundle", it shows in the "Selected bundle")

Now I close NX, change the ENV to point to a different bundle

in the license server log file, it shows I used the new bundle

9:32:31 (ugslmd) OUT: "UG13500" akerb..@...

(also, in NX10, if I "File -> Utilities ->Select bundle", it shows the new bundle in the "Selected bundle")

And if I un-set the variable, it shows I just try to check out a (non-bundled) "gateway" (an no bundle is shown as "selected" in "File -> Utilities ->Select bundle")

9:35:23 (ugslmd) OUT: "gateway" akerb..@...

Like I said, I'm not sure what happens if the registry is set.

Running 10.0.2 (but I think the same is true in NX10.0.1)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

[ Edited ]

So now I am really confused. I'm not doubting you guys as I have an infinite amount of respect for the knowledge both Ken & Jerry have.

Having said that I can't get NX10 to work with UGS_LICENSE_BUNDLE.

Finally figured it out, after thinking I was going insane for the last hour.Smiley Frustrated

If a string called NX_BUNDLES exists in the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Siemens_PLM_Software\Common_Licensing, NX10 will ALWAYS read the value of it, regardless of what your UGS_LICENSE_BUNDLE variable is set to.

Even if that string is empty (which is what I had), NX10 will NOT read anything else and error.

If you delete that string, then NX will look to the UGS_LICENSE_BUNDLE if it is set.

Why does it have to use the registry???
I was hoping the registry would be used less and less for storing this data...
we want to have our workstations all the same and have all customization in our network share - and not in the "user registry"...