cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX9 Menu and Ribbon

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi all, 

I know that Ribbon tabs will be used going forward in coming versions instead of tool bars. and Siemens has provided option to change classic tool bar and Ribbon bar. I have couple of questions. 

1. What is the future of the menus. I searched for articles on this and could not find. 

2. I am creating custom ribbon tabs. I am using bitmap command to identify the corresponding bitmaps to load for each button. Is there any other way to show the icons with out using the bitmap command in the ribbon tabs / gallery / group files. 

regards,

karthik jeeves

5 REPLIES

Re: NX9 Menu and Ribbon

Experimenter
Experimenter

I explored and found out that the bitmap and label are linked to the menu files. Hence if the menu file is existing for the ribbon tab, then the bitmap and label will be used from the menu file. 

Conclusion: When men file is existing for the buttons in the ribbon tab, then while creating the rtb or grb or gly file no need to specify the bitmap and the label.

If no men file is existing, then bitmap and label is needed in these files

Regards,

karthik Jeeves

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend
Karthik,

The old style menus (the ones that were the default in NX8.0 and NX8.5) will be available in NX 9.0 and NX10.0 The plan is to remove them after NX10.
- - - -
Jerry Sarfati
Siemens PLM Software

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Jerry -

Are you saying the MENUs (not toolbars) will also go away after v10?

How will Menuscript wstill work (note there are things you can do with menus/Menuscript you can NOT do with the ribbin interface buttons)?

What will happen to the things that are ONLy on the menus (at least as far as I can find - e.g. preferences)?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Jerry was referring to classic toolbars, which will be retired.

The is no plan to remove the Menus, as they provide the underlying command organization. As discovered above, even ribbon commands reference the menu entries.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Experimenter
Experimenter
Mark, Thank you for the clarification. I was about to escalate in my organisation about this. Smiley Happy Regards, J karthikeyan