Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to NX OPEN requesting some direction..

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello NX Programming Forum,

I am new to NX OPEN. Can any one guide me on how to get NX OPEN tool.? does this comes inbuild in NX tool ? as i searched every where but didnt find the path.

please help me in this regard with my first step. 

9 REPLIES

Re: New to NX OPEN requesting some direction..

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Record a journal; look at the resulting code - congratulations, you have just used the NX Open API.

Take a look in your {NX install directory}\UGOPEN\SampleNXOpenApplications folder for some example code.

Search the GTAC solution center for "nxopen sample {topic of interest}" for more example code.

Install the NX programming help; it is not installed by default. Check out the SNAP getting started guide for some explanation of the API.

Experimenter
Experimenter

thanks cowski1 for the quick post.

as SNAP is available in NX Programming tool bar, how about NX OPEN how can i get to this interface. as i would like to do few CAD related programming calculations by using NX open with .net programing interface. how can i start this.?

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Go into the NX preferences and change the "journal language" to the one that you are most familiar with*. Start the journal recorder and do something simple like changing the color of a body. Stop the journal recorder and browse to the journal file. Open the file in a text editor; this will contain the NX Open code required to do whatever action you recorded. You can edit the code to add your own variables, functions, subroutines, etc and "replay" the journal file to test out your changes.

*I would suggest staying away from C++ for now because I don't think that C++ journals can be replayed without compiling them first (but I may be wrong on that point).

Journaling is free (well, included with the main modeling license anyway). Much can be accomplished by modifying the code and replaying it as a journal. Some things can be accomplished only by compiling the code, but to do this, you will need an "author" license (extra cost) for the language that you want to use.

NX also offers a "UI styler" application that allows you to create dialog boxes with the NX look and feel; but this is an extra cost license. Alternatively, you can use Windows forms even with recorded journals (aka for free). You might also be able to use 3rd party python libraries/utilities to create input forms, but I have not tried that yet.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

You might also want to take a look at th Solution Center.  Search for "nx_api5217".  This will take you to an index page with links to a couple of dozen "Getting Started" articles about NXOpen.  I have attached an image so you can see the names of the articles.

Genius
Genius

My personal preference would be to start with Python. You don't need to compile it, the syntax is a lot more intuitive and easier to debug and (with some configuration) you can use the multiple libraries that are available for Python

The colored block is a good way to start. Just hit Alt-F8. I've been meaning to collect the examples that I have worked on and I'll try to post them here at some point.

C:\Program Files\Siemens\NX 10.0\UGOPEN\SampleNXOpenApplications\Python\BlockStyler\ColoredBlock

Siemens Phenom
Read the first 4 or 5 chapters of the "Getting Started with SNAP" guide. It will help you understand the basic ideas of programming with NX. Work through the tutorial examples in chapters 2 and 3. This will only take a couple of hours. You can do this even if you don't have a Snap license, because there is a free trial version called MiniSnap. Once you have wriiten a few simple programs using Snap, it will be much easier to understand NX/Open.
山田
yamada

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks to all for you suggestions, i got some idea on how to start with NX Open.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello Steve, Myself a new user and a starter in NX open programming,I tried to get the documentation of NXopen with the search "nx_api5217" , but iam not able to find the related documents  that you have shown in the attachement, can you please help me.

Siemens Phenom

The docs are here:

http://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/10/nx_api/#uid:index 

They can be installed locally as part of the standard NX install, too. But, by default, they are *not* installed. So, to get them, you have to click on some buttons during the install..

山田
yamada