Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLY Import and Export programs includes optional normals and body color

Attached are programs for creating and importing PLY files.  They include options to have normals and color definition according to PLY requirements.  The program files have been built and signed for NX12.  Interestingly both run fine in NX1847 but only NXImport runs in NX1872.

Because I use LINQ functionality in PLYExport it cannot be run as a journal.

Frank Swinkels

12 REPLIES 12

Re: PLY Import and Export programs includes optional normals and body color

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

@FrankSwinks1 where should I put the files in the application folder?

-Dave
NX1867(if it had versions) | Teamcenter 11.6 | Windows 10

Hi@DaveK 

The simple way is to put both DLLs along with the DLX into the 'application' subfolder of your customization folder which can be defined by different ways:

1. Either set the UGII_USER_DIR environment variable to point to the customization folder
  2. Or add the full directory path of your customization folder to the file specified by UGII_CUSTOM_DIRECTORY_FILE which defaults to $(UGII_BASE_DIR)\ugii\menus\custom_dirs.dat.

I thought that making the application folder available this was the simplest way.

Regards

Frank Swinkels

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

An even simpler way is to remove the need for the end user to create an application folder and define a location in UGII_USER_DIR / UGII_CUSTOM_DIRECTORY_FILE / etc. by taking the time to embed the DLX into the dll. At runtime, the application writes a copy of the dlx file to a temporary folder, then uses that explicit path in the blockstyler code.

See this topic:

Embed .dlx in DLL (Visual Studio NXOpen)

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

@FrankSwinks1 I finally had an opportunity to test this, using 1867, and the import failed with this error message.

Error.jpg

-Dave

Hi @DaveK 

I knew about the problem. 

"The program files have been built and signed for NX12.  Interestingly both run fine in NX1847 but only NXImport runs in NX1872."

I will rebuild it for NX1872.

Regards

Frank Swinkels

Hi @DaveK  OK I had another look at the error message and it appears that the problem might be with the ply data as I read it.  If allowed could I have a look at the ply file?

Frank Swinkels

Highlighted

Hi @DaveK Just in case I have compiled both plyimport and plyexport for the NX1847+ series.  I did test it and could not generate any errors so I think the problem is likely that there is a format for the data that I have not allowed for.

Frank Swinkels

Phenom
Phenom

@FrankSwinks1 wrote:

Hi @DaveK Just in case I have compiled both plyimport and plyexport for the NX1847+ series.  I did test it and could not generate any errors so I think the problem is likely that there is a format for the data that I have not allowed for.

Frank Swinkels

I've the same error.

Attached the PLY I use to import. For export, I need the license that I don't have, so I can't test.

Thank you..
Using NX1880 and RuleDesigner PDM

Built-in functions for converting units of measure

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

@FrankSwinks1   I sent you a ply file example. 

thanks.

-Dave