Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Material attribute

Siemens Creator Siemens Creator
Siemens Creator

hello

I have a problem with Material attribute, principally in a template because I don't know what happen,

the problem is in version NX 11, because in less version is rigth

7 REPLIES

Re: Problem with Material attribute

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend
Since NX9 or NX10 the way the Material attribute is handled has changed.
NX wants to have control over the value of the "Material" attribute and looks to the Material assignment in the part.
When there is no solid, or the solid has not material assigned, it wants to blank the "Material" attribute.
It looks like you are running into that restriction here.
If you want to assign the attribute, you should assign the material to the solid in the part. The "Material" attribute is then automatically filled with the Material Name.
If you don't want to use Material assignment, then you should choose an attribute that is not defined in your customer defaults.

ps. "Material" attribute stands for the attribute name that is defined in your customer defaults as shown in your message.
Regards,

Gerrit Koelewijn

Legend
Legend

GerritKoelewijn wrote:
Since NX9 or NX10 the way the Material attribute is handled has changed.
NX wants to have control over the value of the "Material" attribute and looks to the Material assignment in the part.
When there is no solid, or the solid has not material assigned, it wants to blank the "Material" attribute.
It looks like you are running into that restriction here.
If you want to assign the attribute, you should assign the material to the solid in the part. The "Material" attribute is then automatically filled with the Material Name.
If you don't want to use Material assignment, then you should choose an attribute that is not defined in your customer defaults.

ps. "Material" attribute stands for the attribute name that is defined in your customer defaults as shown in your message.

I want continue this discussion.

As we know - NX require to assign material only if the solid exists in a part. But what if I want to assign Material (default NX_Material attribute) to part without solid?

I see the customization from our partners where they did it - assign material value to NX_Material attribute to part without solid. So,how that can be realized?

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I created a cube, and assigned a dummy material to it, I named it "Ignore Me".  Then when I saved, the attributes  NX_Material, masspropweight, etc. are all created.  I did everything  needed in my drawing formats, that used these attributes, saved everything, then went back and deleted the solid cube.

Would that process help?

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

@alex_c

I guess you would need to ask that partner how they solved it. 

My first question would be why would you like to assign material to a part that has no model in it?
Weight and other properties are not available either. 

You could create a tiny solid in the part, exclude it from the model (and/or any other) reference set and assign the material to that. 

Regards,

Gerrit Koelewijn

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Is this a "non-geometric part" (oil, grease, coatings, etc.)?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Legend
Legend

Ken_A wrote:

Is this a "non-geometric part" (oil, grease, coatings, etc.)?

yes

Legend
Legend

GerritKoelewijn wrote:

@alex_c

I guess you would need to ask that partner how they solved it. 

My first question would be why would you like to assign material to a part that has no model in it?
Weight and other properties are not available either. 

You could create a tiny solid in the part, exclude it from the model (and/or any other) reference set and assign the material to that. 

I've found how the material attribute could be assigned: the material initially assigned in Teamcenter, and attribute mapping for Material attribute(with option /maser=iman) is a simple solution. "Material" attribute name is a synonym of NX system attribute NX_Mass.

Why we need to assign material to part without body? In that case we have some non-geometric materials,for that materials the mass is assigned by designer(he initially know what mass value need to  be assigned) , and mass for non-geometric parts dont be calculated in that case.