cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about running .dll's over the network - revisited

PLM World Member Builder PLM World Member Builder
PLM World Member Builder

Hello Community,

I've asked this question before but I've never really had a definitive answer, I guess it down to the fact that the problem isn't really a NX issue but Windows issue. We'll here goes

Does anyone know how build and run a NX dll that can run over a network without lowering the security setting of the whole company.

I though I read somewhere it was now possible in never version of NX and the blog that I've found below seem to indicate this. But it doesn't seem to work in NX75 anyone had any success in NX9?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vancem/archive/2008/08/13/net-framework-3-5-sp1-allows-managed-code-to-be-la...

Regards

JSON

6 REPLIES

Re: Question about running .dll's over the network - revisited

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

JSON,

Good morning.  In NX7.5, we were still using V2 of the .Net Framework.  In that version, in order to run NXOpen .DLLs from a mapped network drive, it is necessary to set the local intranet security permissions - and you are correct, this is a Windows restriction, not an NX restriction.

On each machine where you want to run a .DLL from a mapped network drive, you will need to do this in a command window with Administrator privileges:

%SystemRoot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\caspol.EXE -q -m -cg LocalIntranet_Zone FullTrust

If it is a 64-bit version of Windows, then you also need to do this:

%SystemRoot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\caspol.EXE -q -m -cg LocalIntranet_Zone FullTrust

(Each of those commands should be a single line, and I am not certain how they are going to show up when I post this.)

If you are having trouble with this in NX9, then it is possible that your system is seeing your mapped drive as part of the Internet, rather than as part of your local intranet.

If you need more detailed assistance with this, please log an IR with GTAC so that we can help you to investigate

Regards,

Steve

PLM World Member Builder PLM World Member Builder
PLM World Member Builder

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your response. Just to be clear in my mind. Are you saying that in NX9, as long as the system recognises the map drive as an local intranet, .dll's should be able to run without the need to adjust the security permissions?

At the moment we're only got NX9 on standalone boxes, when we get a network environment I'll like to give it another go.

Sorry a few more questions

Do you know a way of testing to see if a network drive is internet or local intranet?

Would dll's created for/in N75 .NET2 need to be recompiled ?

Again thanks for your support. Sometimes the biggest hurdle is knowing how the system is supposed to work.

Regards

JSON

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

"Are you saying that in NX9, as long as the system recognises the map drive as an local intranet, .dll's should be able to run without the need to adjust the security permissions?"

As far as I know, yes.  Disclaimer:  I am not a systems expert.  But when we loaded NX9 on our test machines, and began building test programs, we did not have to do anything to the permissions to run from mapped drives.

"Would dll's created for/in N75 .NET2 need to be recompiled ?" YES!!!

You should re-build your NXOpen routines any time you want to run them in a new major release.

Keep in mind that you might find some programs from an older release that will run in a newer release, but a program for NX7.5 will use the V2 .Net Framework, so it will require that the security permissions are set in compliance with the way V2 worked.

"Do you know a way of testing to see if a network drive is internet or local intranet?"  I am pretty sure I have had to find that information in the past, but I can't put my finger on it right this second.  However, if you try to load a program in NX, and it fails to load because of security permissions, I think the syslog will show you what zone it thinks the program - and thus the mapped drive - are believed to be.  Search the log file for the word "permission", and read a few lines before and after.

As always, if you need more detailed assistance, please log an IR with GTAC.

Thanks!

Phenom
Phenom
Any time you upgrade to a newer major version of NX, you should re-test your code and recompile. Functions you used in previous versions may have been deprecated or obsoleted; and current functions may have been tweaked in such a way that makes your program behave differently.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

We initially had dll's available over the network but found that were we not able to update the code if anyone was using the program.We overcame this by having the dll's copied to a local folder when Teamcenter is launched.

Mike

NX 10 TC11.2
www.astonmartin.com

Creator
Creator

Thaknks steve, this was helpful.

Thanks FL