Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

RE-compiling NX-open after NX-update

Does anyone know if you need to re-compile NX-open programs with the latest copies of the dll's in the ugii/managed folder, after minor updates/MP, or is this only required on major release versions of NX NX9->NX10?

Thanks,

7 REPLIES

Re: RE-compiling NX-open after NX-update

Mark,

Good morning.  Most of the time you will not need to rebuild when loading an MP, as the majority of the code fixes will be in the .DLL's that live in the ugii folder.  However occasionally it might be necessary to change something in the NXOpen*.DLL's.  So unfortunately I can't give you a yes/no answer to this question that will always be true - sorry about that!

Regards,

Steve

When we went from NX8.5.1 to NX8.5.3 MP6 we didn't need to recompile.

Mike

NX 10 TC11.2
www.astonmartin.com

I can't remember that I ever had to recompile after doing an upgrade. 

Well, just checked the oldest program I have. But that doesn't run anymore. AFAIK it did run in NX9. The program was compiled with the NX6 dll's. So, programs won't last forever, but I skipped more than one version in the past between compiling. 

W10 NX11.0.1

It's not so much as that the programs don't run. It's that I've seen a few NX crashes when using my automation tools and we have recently moved to NX8.5.3.3 MP7.
As it's happening in more than 1 tool I was wondering if it could be one of the linked .dll's.
I wasn't sure if there was any best practice on the subject.
Thanks.

We have a policy to always rebuild our projects as part of the testing process of a new version of NX.
Graham Inchley Snr R&D Engineer (Systems Development), Sandvik Coromant
Lenovo ThinkPad W540, Win7, 16GB. Developing in: Java | C | C# | KF
Production: NX8.5.3.3 MP11 64bit Testing: NX9.0.2.5

Mark,

If you are experiencing crashes, it is probably worth the effort to rebuild to see if removing the version mismatch has any effect on the behavior.

If not, please save the log file from a session where a crash occurred, and log an IR with GTAC so that we can try to help you figure out what is going wrong.  We have a utility that we can use to process your log that will often help us see more information about exactly what was on the stack and what library was in use when the crash occurred.

Thanks,

Steve

This is somewhat language dependent as well. For example, if you are using .NET, applications can survive many releases without needing to re-compile as long as the entry points for the functions you are calling remain unchanged in the NXOpen dlls.

For C++ on the other hand, you need to rebuild any time the compiler version changes or linked libraries are updated.