cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace promote body

Legend
Legend

Hi,

on standard NX commands, it's not possible replace a component with other without error if a component is used as 'promote body', but I ask if it's possible via programming.

I've a machined assembly with 4 promote body and lot features.

I need to replace components with other very similar without lose feature.

Thank you...

Using NX 11 / RuleDesigner PDM

5 REPLIES

Re: Replace promote body

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Generally, if it doesn't work interactively, then it will also fail through NXOpen API.

On the other hand, why not convert the promoted into linked bodies?

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Legend
Legend

Stefan_Pendl wrote:

Generally, if it doesn't work interactively, then it will also fail through NXOpen API.

On the other hand, why not convert the promoted into linked bodies?

There are some problem to use linked body to simulate machined assembly :

1) Balloon can't be used because linked body isn't a component, you need to set the number manually and if the hierarchy change you need to remember

2) You need to manipulate reference set 'Model' to exclude the component, if not in the drawing you see both

3) Assembly mass in ANT is doubled

Siemens PLM suggest to use promote body for machined assembly.

I hope in the near fetaure, Siemens PLM implement this limitation.

Thank you...

Legend
Legend

Stefan_Pendl wrote:

Component reference in drafting can't be replaced, but via NXOpen API yes. For this reason I've asked.

Thank you...

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If you don't have an assembly, you can't use promoted bodies either.

Promoted bodies have been deprecated long ago and linked bodies are now the standard, you can even set a customer default to automatically convert promoted to linked bodies.

You can also convert a promoted body to a linked body from a context menu entry in the part navigator.

We are using linked bodies for a long time now and have never had anything not working, seems your Siemens guy needs an update training.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Phenom
Phenom

"Promoted bodies have been deprecated long ago and linked bodies are now the standard"

Well, not exactly...

When wave linking was new there were some comments in the documentation that made it sound as if "promote body" was going to be phased out entirely. Siemens has backed off that wording and has stated that promote body is a supported, valid way to do certain parts (such as machined castings). Promote has not been deprecated and is, in fact, used "behind the scenes" in new commands such as "assembly cut" and "hole series". Just another (good or bad, depending on your point of view) example of the multiple ways of doing things in NX.