cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special font to shows numbers with empty char in NX Drafting notes

Builder
Builder

All,
          Is it feasible to show blank space for numbers by using special font, Just want to show only alpha characters number needs to be empty characters.

Example : By selection special font in Annotation Note, I need to show blank space instead of Numbers ("1323" --> " " ) in Drafting.
   But same time alphabetic and other special character can still shows in drafting. Note <F433>DATA 34.5<F> --> In Drafting it need to show as "DATA ".

Thanks In Advance

ECR

PradeepECR
NX7.5 TC8/ NX9.0.2.5 TC10.2
8 REPLIES

Re: Special font to shows numbers with empty char in NX Drafting notes

Genius
Genius
I woul suggest not to use a special font for this. Maybe you can make a quick Journal for validating the text of your notes and replace als numbers with nothing or blanks?

Builder
Builder
Actually I'm trying to hide/blank PMI dimension value in Model view same time I need to show appended text. In NX9 PMI dimension can't be manually edit. We are having need to show PMI dimension value in custom table. we will append text the variable. Hope you understood my requirement.
PradeepECR

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

*Incredibly ugly* solution (i.e. if you shoot yourself in the foot, you have only yourself to blame for the later pain)....

Create your own *NX* font.  (see %UGII_BASE_DIR%\UGII\ugfonts)

e.g.

- Copy blockfont.fnx to "ecr.fnx"

- use ugfontc.exe (same folder) to convert to .fnt (text format)

- go into the text file, delete all strokes (but NOT THE DEFINITION of) all the numerical characters  (e.g. you want the definition of the character "1", but make it so it dowsn't draw anything)

- save

- convert back to .fnx

- use as your standard font for the PMI display

I suppost you could do the same thing to a Truetype/Opentype font.  But you'll have to test how the drawing displays if the font isn't available (does NX replace it with Arial? Blockfont? something else?).

Notes:

- Everyone who uses these parts MUST have the "ecr.fnx" file available (e.g. if you send the NX drawing to a supplier as an NX file, they need the font as well).  Otherwise it will display using blockfont (which is why I strongly suggest using blockfont as your starting point - so all the other characters show up correctly)

- you will need to use a DIFFERENT font for the tabular note (so you *can* get numbers)

Suggestion:

What I would do in your case is do everything EXCEPT the "tabular note" dimensions as PMI.  Place the PMI views on the drawing.  Then add the "tabular note" dimensions (only) with manual text.  This will save a LOT of headaches.

If your management (or whomever) is insisting that *every* part have *full* PMI, then create parts as a part family, and have the drawing (in the part - i.e. NOT master model) have the pmi (i.e. get rid of the tabular drawing, and have a part-specific drawing for each part)

Is there a way to NOT show specific PMI in a view (hide or view dependant edit or ???)

If so, I would do that for the specific dimensions required, and place a manual text dimension instead.

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Genius
Genius

I think an ER would be better here (I thought I had opened one for this in the past, but was not able to find it) :-)

Builder
Builder
Ken,

Thanks Ken, I appreciate your reply & steps to create custom font. I can understand this could not be a right approach. But my scenario, to replace PMI dimension value with some variable name but same time I need to show arrow head, extension lines to associated to edges/faces.
This particular type of part can't be considered as part family.

If NX have specific PMI dimension type only for manual edit, it will be great.

I have created custom font as you mentioned, Now when I create PMI dimension and assign custom font type, dimension values are replaced with empty characters. In this approach when I export this part to 3D pdf, those dimension value font get exposed as dimension value. I think some mapping needs to taken care.

Other alternative I'm thinking of by creating Drafting dimension in model view for those specific cases & edit manually dimension value. So this dimension can be treated differently.

Thanks,
ECR
PradeepECR

Builder
Builder
Josch,
Thanks for your reply. I got an answer from GTAC, saying PMI dimension value can't be manually edited or removed. That's the reason I'm thinking of other alternative options.

Thanks,
ECR
PradeepECR

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

RE: Export to PDF

Be very careful how you set up the export options for text. 

I *think* there's a way to get the blank to show up (but have not tested to make sure)

RE: Not a part family

Then why are you trying to do this?

It seems you are trying to kludge a "pencil & paper" drafting practice onto  CAD - usually NOT a very good idea.

Note you will also have to deal with the PMI when exported to JT, (??STEP, if it supports PMI), etc.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Builder
Builder
Ken,

As you mentioned, I need to make sure the downstream consumption of PMI data & visualization of data. Thanks again for inputs.
PradeepECR