cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swap bundles

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

hello,

if two license bundles are selected, when a command is invoked that requires the second
listed bundle, NX automatically releases the first and picks the second one.
I wonder if there is a way to go back to the initial setup without manual intervention,
that is to somehow automate bundle swapping in NX9.
The registry seems not to be involved, as its value doesn't match the actual bundle listing order.
The actual listing order can be seen in the "Licensing Options" within NX, but I don't know of
any means to access this via an automation in NX9.
Any hint is appreciated.

Thanks

10 REPLIES

Re: Swap bundles

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Use the NXOpen API method theSession.LicenseManager.Reserve() to check out a module that is only available in the other bundle, this will swith bundles.

You can then use theSession.LicenseManager.Release() to release it immediately, if you just don't need it.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

hello Stefan, thanks for replying.

I have tried the theSession.LicenseManager.Reserve but I haven't managed to swap the bundles.

I started NX with ADVDES and Mach3 listed in the licensing tool, in that order.

When invoking a command which is only included in Mach3 the bundles were swapped.

Than I switched from Modeling to Gateway (from within Mach3).

Then I ran a journal with  theSession.LicenseManager.Reserve("ADVDES_gateway", Nothing)

but that didn't swap the bundles.

The NX log reported:

Attempting to enter module 'NX13100N_ADVDES_gateway'

Attempting to enter module 'ADVDES_ADVDES_gateway'

Attempting to enter module 'ADVDES_gateway'

The check out of the ADVDES_gateway license module successfullyoccured but was not from inside the ADVDES bundle.

The FLEXlm Error received when trying to access the bundle was -18

It seems that modules cannot be accessed by specifying the bundle.

Maybe in this particular case the trick doesn't work ?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You cannot add the bundle to the license name, only modules are supported.

For example you have a bundle that consists only of CAM modules and one that consists only of CAD modules, you could use the "cam_base" and "modeling" modules to switch between bundles in theory, since I have never had a need to forcibly switch bundles.

Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

ok, thanks anyway.

I was looking for a way to optimize bundles deployment among users.

I heard that in NX11 there are NXOpen methods to select bundles as well,

should we upgrade I'll try that.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Why not use the OPT file of the license server to do this?

From what I have read in the NXOpen API .NET reference for NX 11 there is no forcible switch possible in my opinion.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

there is LicenseManager.SetBundlesForUse,  although I haven't found any example for this in UGAnswer

showing how it actually works.

How would you achieve the same by means of the Option file ?

There is a TIMEOUT option to release licenses but AFAIK it hasn't been implemented by Siemens.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The remarks for SetBundlesForUse tell us that the bundle is not switched if a currently checked out license module is not available in the new bundle.

I assume the Mach 3 is a total machining bundle, so it has modeling and drafting in common with the advanced design bundle.

It might be better to split the CAD-CAM bundle into a separate CAD and CAM bundle, which would allow you to stop doing some voodoo braking your fingers Smiley Wink

What is the current situation and what would you like to sort out?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

actually, the Gateway license is available in both bundles, so why shouldn't they switch ?

Mach3 is a full-featured modeling bundle and it's a superset of ADVDES (this is why the swap didn't work).

How would you "split a bundle" ?

What I wanted is to optimize bundles allocation according to users' needs, sort of automated alternative to the guy shouting to another at the other end of the room "hey, gimme your Mach3 for ten minutes, I give you ADVDES".

Providing every user with Mach3 would make no sense at all as it's very expensive and advanced capabilities are only used every now and then, yet sometimes they are used and nice to have for everybody.

If basic and advanced bundles could be swapped that would be easier to achieve.

You still didn't tell your idea about the option file though, I'm curious abot that :-)

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Why switch with gateway if it is already available? Gateway is the first module ever checked out, so there is no way to switch with it at all.

There is a Mach 3 design and a Mach 3 manufacturing bundle and I assumed you have the manufacturing one in addition to the advanced designer.

At the end of each license file is a list of the neutral module names for each bundle, compare those lists to find the module name to switch with.

If there is no module that is only unique for one or the other bundle, then you might be out of luck anyways.

The OPT file can be used to limit the access to a bundle, see the license administration guide.