cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TraceARay accuracy

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

Hi All.

I faced one problem with a TraceARay function. Below I painted the problem: I have two points lied on Face A but close to Face B. I try to do TraceARay along Vector, but for Point A I recieve two hits instead of one that is incorrect result. For Point B TraceARay returns a correct result. Maybe there is some sort of tolerance settings for TraceARay?

The code (Python) is really simple:

transf = [ 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0,
           0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0,
           0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0,
           0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0 ]
tracert_ray = theUfSession.Modeling.TraceARay(1, list((body.Tag,)), point, vector, transf, 0) 

Such behavior happens spontaneously. For example in one 3D model I can explore one point with 0.001 mm distance to nearest face and result might be wrong, but for another point with smaller distance 0.0001 mm the result might be correct. Sometimes it might be happend with a distance even 0.1 mm! On the same 3D model on the same session!

I decided to create intersection manually with user interface (Point intersection between line and face). It gives correct result everything.

UPDATE:

I use Ctrl+Z after each time I use my script. I mean I launch my script first time, then press Ctrl+Z, then launch my script again... In several repeats I will start getting incorrect result. I think there is accumulated error.

My colleagues told me that the also faces such behavior (when user repeat the same operation with Ctrl+Z many times) with original feature from user interface.

Does anybody faced such behavior?

Could you explain such behavior and how to get a correct result?

Input dataInput data

Disctaces to the nearest faceDisctaces to the nearest face

The resut of TraceARay for Point AThe resut of TraceARay for Point AThe resut of TraceARay for Point A (green - the first hitted Face, blue - the second one)The resut of TraceARay for Point A (green - the first hitted Face, blue - the second one)

The result of TraceARay for Point BThe result of TraceARay for Point B

3 REPLIES

Re: TraceARay accuracy

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

The ray makes quite a small angle with the nearby edge, so there wil certainly be some ill-conditioning in the calculation.

Also, check the type of the edge. If its type is "tolerant edge" then the edge is "fuzzy" (it has some non-zero diameter) so you can expect strange results when you are near to it.

The moral of the story ... if your calculations are seriously affected by tolerances, round-off, and other floating point anomalies, it's best to find some other way to do the calculation.

山田
yamada

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer
I did some research and noticed, that it happen spontaneously during I repeat the same operations many times with pushing Ctrl+Z. My colleagues tell me that they also faced such behavior with original operations in UI (for example Extrude). I think it is the specialty of journal systems.

But it is true, when I reopen my 3D model or NX then my script works correct. I guess it will also work correct if I save my file after Ctrl+Z and then run my script again.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I can't think of any reason why the Undo/repeat cycle would change the answers in any computations. Undo is essentially just a database roll-back that returns the model to a previously-saved state. It doesn't do any recalculation/reconstruction, as far as I know, so I can't see any opportunity for computational errors.

If you have reproducible examples of this behaviour, I think you should report them as PRs.

山田
yamada