cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unwanted update when using Feature Group

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Hello everyone! 

I tried to make use of Feature Groups with NX Open, and received unexpected results. I have a code that does some trim and unite job and it work well. Then I tried to put these features into the feature group within the feature tree for which I made feature group current feature and also activated it.  But when my code gets busy with trim and unite inside the feature tree, each operation initiates heavyweight update of the model. This is unlike interactive mode, where I simply add features without any unwanted update. What shall I do? Shall I somehow explicitly delay update of model under described scenario?

15 REPLIES

Re: Unwanted update when using Feature Group

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I would always use Update.Option.Later when you do a huge amount of model changes.

It really speeds up the entire process.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Solution Partner Genius
I will try it tomorrow. But is such behaviour normal when using feature groups via NX Open? Does it really require explicit delay of update, or have I messed something up?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Have you tried recording a journal, when you do it manually, so one could see what the developers do in this situation?

Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1

Solution Partner Genius

How do I use  Update.Option.Later on Trim and Unite operations? In the Solutions Center there are only examples with user attribute operations. I can't understand how to relate them to Trim and Unite. Man Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If the API methods offer an argument for the update option, you just use it there, else you would need to delay the update through the UpdateManager namespace, if I remember correctly.

Solution Partner Genius

Trim and Unite do not have a method per se, they require creating and comminting the feature builder with various options through multiple lines of code. I did not find anything to do with delay of update there. But I am not yet experienced with NX Open, I could have missed something. If you could help me with that, I'd appreciate this. Man Happy

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

See the NXOpen.Update class for the SetUpdateLock method, make sure to read the remarks of the class.

I have never used it since I am mostly developing CAM utilities.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

If the behavior is different between interactive NX and your program, I'd guess there is something else in your program that requires a model update. Do the features get reordered when they are placed in the feature group? If so, this would be enough to require an update. There may be other reasons that it requires an update, but feature reordering is the first that comes to mind.

Solution Partner Genius

Hi! Thanks for calling!

What I try to do is to activate feature group inside the feature tree (not the last feature in the tree) and create some trim and unite operations so they are put insde that feature group. Does this qualify as feature reordering?