Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual plane intersection point with an edge/curve intersection

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Is there a way to get a virtual plane and its intersetion points with some edges/Cuvres?

I tried creating actual planes but it's too time consuming, so am looking for other faster alternative solution.

Has anyone tried implementing something similar?

8 REPLIES

Re: Virtual plane intersection point with an edge/curve intersection

Phenom
Phenom

This is the simplest function for creating a plane.

int UF_MODL_create_plane
(
double origin_point [ 3 ] ,
double plane_normal [ 3 ] ,
tag_t * plane_tag
)

Suresh
Production: NX10.0.3 Developing: NX11.0.2.7, NX12.0.2, NX1847,
Development: C++, C# .Net, VB .Net, KF

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
HI @ Technisites Thanks for the reply. I am looking for less time consuming alternatives. Since I have to perform this operation with large number edges, I am something that doesn't require creation of an actual plane. If I am creating a plane using any available API then it's taking a lot of time for the tool to execute, that's the reason I am searching for some alternative like a virtual plane.

Phenom
Phenom

If you haven't tried the suggested UF call, I would give it a go. This creates a very lightweight plane that is much quicker to create than a DatumPlane feature. It might be OK for you.

Graham Inchley Snr R&D Engineer (Systems Development), Sandvik Coromant
Lenovo ThinkPad W540, Win7, 16GB. Developing in: Java | C | KF
Production: [NX8.5.3.3 MP11 64bit] Testing: [NX12.0.2 MP1]

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

It sounds like your code will intersect the plane with several curves/edges. If so, then the time to create the plane will probably be far less than the time to do the intersections.

There really are no "virtual planes" in NX/Open. SNAP has a bunch of "Geom" objects, including Snap.Geom.Surface.Plane object, and creating one of these does not cause any interaction with the NX part file, so it's very fast.

山田
yamada

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@Yamada

Thanks for the reply. Yes you are correct ultimately I have to find the intersection point between the plane and a set of edges. Do you have a suggestion for a quicker light weight solution in mind for it?

with respect to the SNAP API, I suppose we should have the SNAP license available to use this API, Right?

Thanks,

Kush

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Yes, using the SNAP API requires a license. The price is low (I think), but it's not zero. There is a free subset called MiniSnap, but it doesn't include the intersection functions.

As far as I know, the quickest way to create a plane using NX/Open is the UF_MODL_create_plane function that @Technisites recommended.

But, again, I would expect plane creation to be much faster than the subsequent intersections. So, unless you have evidence to show that plane creation is taking up a large percentage of the time, I wouldn't worry about it.

山田
yamada

Phenom
Phenom

I guess for finding the intersections, the function UF_MODL_intersect_curve_to_plane will be much faster than other methods.

Suresh
Production: NX10.0.3 Developing: NX11.0.2.7, NX12.0.2, NX1847,
Development: C++, C# .Net, VB .Net, KF
Highlighted

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@Yamada Yes I also think that finding the intersection points is taking more time then creating datum planes.

@Technisites Even I am using UF_MODL_intersect_curve_to_plane for finding intersection points between datum planes and curves.