Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visual Studio Code

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

someone use Visual Studio Code as code editor ?

If yes, what I have to configure it to use with NX OPEN API ?

Thank you...

Using NX1867
RuleDesigner PDM

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Visual Studio Code

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

As your signature includes NX11, I think the info here is more accurate for that version:

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/11.0.2/release_notes/#uid:index_xid920453:xid920496:...

For C/C++ you MUST use the indicated version of Visual Studio.  For .NET languages, you just have to be using the correct versions of  the .NET framework (I have seen references in this forum about using Sharp Develop (?) with NX for VB programming)

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Highlighted

Siemens Phenom

I've tried using it to edit C# and VB code. It's really the same editor that's used in Visual Studio, so you get good support for "Intellisense". I gave up because I couldn't find a convenient way to compile code. It seems that you have to use command-line incantations to invoke the compiler, which I find troublesome.

VS Code is nice because you don't have to go to the trouble of setting up projects/solutions, but, overall, I still prefer the Visual Studio IDE.

山田
yamada

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi

I'm not a programmer, but need to do some simple programming in NX Open (C#), and
would like to use a simple IDE like Visual Studio Code and some kind of IntelliSense.

I'm having a rather hard time finding a guide to make this work. I belive I have everything I need,
but can someone please tell me what files to move where? It seems like you guys replying to
this post have it worked out, and I just can't figgure it out.

Thanks!

Siemens Phenom

I played with VS Code briefly. But, as I mentioned in my other post, I didn't like the command-line compilation process. Also, you need to add references to the NXOpen DLLs. The process for adding references in VS Code is pretty clunk, as described here.

To avoid these two problems, I would use VS Code for code editing (to get the benefits of Intellisense), but then I'd copy/paste the code into the NX Journal Editor to compile/run it.

Needless to say, this is not a very smooth process, so I went back to using Visual Studio. One of my reasons to try VS Code was to avoid all the fuss of setting up Projects and Solutions, but this is no longer necessary in Visual Studio 2017 and later, as described here.

If you want a lightweight IDE for developing C# code, then you might want to try SharpDevelop.

山田
yamada