cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Watertight Surfacing using API: method to check

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi,

I am trying to generate boundary surface of solid objects in NX, using API. So, if there is a cube, the API will generate a boundary along cube's boundary, but below the cube. 

Since it is generated using API, I want to be sure that the boundary is a closed surface and not having minor gaps because of floating point errors or data conversion issues. 

So, my question is : "is there a way to check if a surface is watertight?" Or rather is this question more meaningful: "is there a way to check if a surface is watertight within the defined tolerance of the CAD environment ? " 

I am concerned about this because it is something that ensures that surfacing algo is debugged and tested, as I guess I cannot rely on the fact that if the boundary surface "looks" (visually) closed, then it is actually closed.

1 REPLY

Re: Watertight Surfacing using API: method to check

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I think you might be able to do this with Examine Geometry -> Face Intersections (interactively).

Actions for this dialog do record Journal code, so that would be a good start.  You can specify the body you want to examine, and one or more checks to perform, so for this one you get something like this - I am omitting some of the recorded code here:

Dim examineGeometry1 As NXOpen.GeometricAnalysis.ExamineGeometry
examineGeometry1 = workPart.AnalysisManager.CreateExamineGeometryObject()

. . .

examineGeometry1.SetCheck(NXOpen.GeometricAnalysis.ExamineGeometry.Check.BodyFaceIntersections)

. . .

Dim added1 As Boolean
added1 = examineGeometry1.ObjectsToExamine.Add(body1)

examineGeometry1.Examine()