cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is UDO;

Creator
Creator

I did not get the specific use of UDO. what is this and where it is been used?

Thanks FL

17 REPLIES

Re: What is UDO;

Phenom
Phenom

From the documentation:

Overview

A User Defined Object is patterned after object oriented programming and contains customer defined data.  The UDO can be linked or associated with NX objects.  As the associated NX object changes, the UDO can be kept up to date.  UDOs enable third party vendors and users to augment their part files with customer specific application data.

A UDO can contain the following data:

Additionally, all UDOs within a class may have their own methods to allow them to display, be selected, and obtain real-time notification during update and deleteevents.  The methods are registered as callback functions which occur at key events in an NX session. 

So UDOs are objects that you as a user can create, but only by writing software to handle them.

Graham Inchley Snr R&D Engineer (Systems Development), Sandvik Coromant
Lenovo ThinkPad W540, Win7, 16GB. Developing in: Java | C | C# | KF
Production: NX8.5.3.3 MP11 64bit Testing: NX9.0.2.5

Creator
Creator

As a programer how how can i use this. i mean what is it's application.

Phenom
Phenom

UDOs are really usable for whatever you like. As it says in the documentation they can contain numeric values, strings etc and can be linked to normal NX objects. If they are linked to a normal NX object (say a solid body), they can react to changes in that solid body if you write code to handle those reactions (these are named callbacks).

One example I have used UDOs for in the past is to store positioning information of a component. I work for a division of Sandvik that makes metal cutting tools that use carbide inserts. I wrote a UIStyler program to help the designers position the inserts and apply the tilting to produce the correct cutting action etc. The position and tilting angles get stored in a UDO attached to the linked solid body of the cutting insert. If they need to modify the position or tilting of the insert, they can run the UIStyler program again and it will find the UDO associated with the solid body and populate the dialog with the last used values.

There should be a simple UDO project installed with NX that demonstrates the UDO concept. You should find it in:

C:\Program Files\Siemens\NX9\UGOPEN\SampleNXOpenApplications\.NET\UDO

(Replace you NX install path if different)

Graham Inchley Snr R&D Engineer (Systems Development), Sandvik Coromant
Lenovo ThinkPad W540, Win7, 16GB. Developing in: Java | C | C# | KF
Production: NX8.5.3.3 MP11 64bit Testing: NX9.0.2.5

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

As a programmer, you will use them when you need persistency.  UDO are NX objects and so they get saved with the model.

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Graham, I'm aslo struggling to understand how to use the UDO (I'm only a novice NX Open programmer). Could you please provide som graphical explanation - if possible?

I understand that UDO can contain curves and can be linked to the geometry - I seen the mid-curve example. But your post suggests that UDO can be used in other ways. How exactly, I don't understand. Does UDO serve as sort of an 'interface' between some input and output values by calculating them internally? I am bit confused.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Note UDOs can (optionally) also show up as features in the part navigator.

So (besides UDFs) it is another way to define your own feature types.

Basically, anywhere you would want to store data in the part (so it can be easily edited later), or create custom features (that are too complex for UDFs) or whatever.

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Solution Partner Genius

I know that UDO can be used to create custom feature - that is the least difficult aspect of an UDO to understand. But - as far as I know - UDO can only consist of curves. It cannot be used to creat solid/boolean feature - or am I wrong?

Anywhere you would want to store data in the part (so it can be easily edited later)

This is something I honestly fail to understand. Can this be somehow shown on a screenshot or at least explained in a graphical format?..

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I understand that sometimes, as they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words", but this is not a topic that lends itself to being explained that way.

For starters, you can have UDO's that just hold numbers or strings if that's what you want.

Or you might want geometry - the whole point is, you get to define it!

We have a pretty thorough explanation of UDO's in the NX Open Programmer's Guide, and if you are really interested in the topic, I would encourage you to read all about it there.  It is way more information than we could share in the format of this forum, and I suspect it will answer a lot of questions for you. 

So open the Programming Tools help in the NX docs, then find the NX Open Programmer's Guide.

Next open the chapter called User Defined Objects.

Solution Partner Genius

I tried to read the documentation, but did not understand enough yet. It appears to be a tough topic. I still have many questions. One of them - if UDO holds some strings (as in your example), or some other values, how can this be used downstream?