Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Why is NXcustom not embraced by Siemens PLM?

Not so much a technical question, but I've noticed over the years that NXcustom has been suggested, and used by a number of people on this, and other forums.  NXcustom was developed by that Rob Cohon, former Siemens PLM, now retired, and currently Gerrit Koelewijn (Siemens PLM) is maintianing it.) 

Yet, when you talk to GTAC, or have a Siemens rep on site, they have zero knowledge of it.  On rare occasions, I've had a rep acknowledge having heard of it, but they always seem to get 'gun shy'.

Why does Siemens PLM not embrace it?  especially with so many places using it?  or am I just an exception?  This is the 4th company since 2001 where I have used it.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1
6 REPLIES

Re: Why is NXcustom not embraced by Siemens PLM?

[ Edited ]

Just guessing here, but...

NXCustom was written to show what you can do to customize NX for your needs and also as a starting point to those customizations. It has matured to the point where many use it as-is with no (or little) further customization. However, you are free to do what you want with it.

If it were "officially" supported, it would have to be a part of the development and test cycle and people would be allowed to write PR's against it. Development would be tasked with writing (or fixing) custom code for a single customer or attempting to add everyone's ER's to the existing code base. In my opinion, they wisely chose to focus on development of NX and leave the site customization up to the power users.

I can understand them not supporting it like NX or TC, but I get so many "deer in the headlights" responses from GTAC and on site Siemens people, that it's surprising.  I've also had a couple back away from helping debug issues, because our setup is not OOTB.

The kicker, when Siemens PLM set things up at my current employer, they used the NXcustom setup, so everyone here thought it WAS part of the NX/TC integration.

-Dave

Rob seemed to do support here on the BBS / community site.

So ask questions in the thread where it is posted, and (hopefully) Gerrit will respond.

But I agree, GTAC *should* at least *know* about it.  And (sort of) how it works.

Now maybe their response will be "please post your question on the community site at (insert link here)" (link to the appropriate NX version of NXcustom) for anything not "instantly solvable", which is not great, but better than "What's that?"

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

For the heck of it, I submitted an ER to this effect.  Curious if/what I hear back.

-Dave

Thanks for bringing this up. I had never heard of it. 

I read the readme file posted by Gerrit. Besides storing templates and env variables, what are some other ways you have used NX Custom?  https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Programming-Customization/NXcustom-for-NX10-0/m-p...

You can put any kind of automation there (macros/journals/DLLs/etc.)

If you do NC programming, copy the \mach\resource\ folder tree there & do customizations in that folder tree

You can have shared GUI changes (ribbons, toolbars, etc.) and the bitmaps for them

Symbols (user defined or custom)

etc.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled