cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will running a Journal in CMD prompt be applied to an open session of NX?

Creator
Creator

Im planning on creating an excel tool that allows the user to change things from nx. I have all the NX code needed to do what I want within NX mades on the modifications. However if the user is using excel the only way I know that you can use NXOpen is through the command Prompt which can be ran through macros in Excel. The problem then would be if these journals or executables would be applied to the existing session they are working on. 

I want to know if its feasible so that I can move forward and find out how to do each of these steps, because I dont know at the moment how to do them so cant test but dont want waste time learning it if it isnt going to work.

Here is the process

1. Open NX
  2. Do some things interactively
  3. Open Excel 
  4. Edit sheet which invokes a call to a macro
  5. macro run .dll or vb file from cmd prompt 
  6. the open NX adopts the changes. 
3 REPLIES

Re: Will running a Journal in CMD prompt be applied to an open session of NX?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

No, running a Journal from the command shell should have no effect at all on an existing open session of NX.

Instead, it essentially launches a new session of NX, without a user interface, so you cannot see anything.

If you have the .Net Author license, so that you can build a .DLL and an executable (.exe), then you can use a process called Remoting.  This allows you to start a listener process in the interactive session, and then you can run a client program that connects to it from outside, so you can control what is happening in the interactive session from outside.

Creator
Creator

And this control can be from excel?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

We have one customer who says that he has done this.  I have never tried it.  I suspect you might have to have 64-bit excel running, but as I said, I have never done it.