Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

blank feature only to hold parameters?

Genius
Genius
Some parameters are accessible only in Expression Editor.

For example, when a sketch is created from an offset plane, the offset distance can be found only in the Expression Editor, but is not listed in Details tab as a parameter of the sketch. Of course I can create a datum plane before the sketch, but this adds the labor of organizing objects.

If such kind of "invisible" parameters can be "held" in a blank feature listed in the Model History and can be accessed in the Details tab, the modeling workflow can be made more consistent.

Is it possible to customize a feature (1) without creating any geometric object and (2) only to hold some parameters?

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

Re: blank feature only to hold parameters?

Creator
Creator

You can always do that with the help of custom features. Check the following thread, where we had problem of hiding the expressions from the details pane. You can do the same for showing up also.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Programming-Customization-Forum/Custom-Feature-Hi...

Regards,

Gowthaman

Genius
Genius

Hi @GowthamN   Thank you for your reference!

Sorry for a further question. Is it possible to do it in the interactive NX?

Creator
Creator

As far as I know, if you want to achieve with inbuilt NX features, I don't think it is possible.

Whatever feature you are looking for is not in NX/ customized feature, so you have to go for Custom feature. So, create the custom feature functionality through program and add it to NX in menu bar or ribbon tool bar and you can access them interactively. If you want CF examples, there are some in 'SampleNXOpenApplications' and a good example in GTAC 'Dice Custom Feature'. Also, some nice threads about CF here and here.

Regards,

Gowthaman

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello ,

I will suggest use of User Defined Feature,

in this case you will have to create a single plane (Preferred) or sketch (with a single line inside)

in the expression formula for plane or line  add all required parametrs

eg.  p1 = p2 +p3 +p4 +p5........*0

incase if you have string parameters then use    ascii(mystrparam1) to get integer value

build a udf make sure to "Uncheck" the feature explosion check box

once you add this feature in UDF in expression tab on UDF wizard,

you will see all the expessions listed and ready to be added in definition

CAD Methods Development NX11 and NX12

Genius
Genius

Hi @GowthamN   Thank you for your valuable information on Custom Feature!

Hi @Amod_Soman   Thank you for your tutorial! Exactly what I'm looking for. With your method, I can pack together all the related parameters for a spline or a surface, and access them in the Details pane quickly. Very useful!