Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

language for NX Open

Dear all,

I am new to NXopen programming and i learnt a few things in VB language by asking questions in this forum and by googling. Then suddenly one of my friend suggested that VB.net for NXOpen is too old, so go for java for NXopen. I asked him can i go for python?

So i am confused, Can anyone suggest which language is easy to learn NXopen in Visual studio.? As suggested by most of them i learnt by recording and replying the journal files and Is there any webinars and courses available ?

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: language for NX Open

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I would not say VB.NET is "too old". It is fully supported in NXOpen.

As for Java, I would advise against that if you are a beginner. The language itself is nothing complicated, but the environment to write and run Java in NX is a bit more complicated. Also there are a few slight differences in the API between the .NET languages and Java. Not so many people use Java (as far as I know), so coming across these small differences, you get less chance of help in the forums.

Also, as a beginner it is nice to be able to play journals without compiling etc. You can record a journal in any of the languages, but you can only replay VB, C# and Python. For C++ and Java you have to compile the code and execute it via File->Execute->NXOpen

Hope this helps.

Graham Inchley Snr R&D Engineer (Systems Development), Sandvik Coromant
Dell 7530 Precision, Win10, 32GB. Developing in: Java | C | KF
Production: [NX12.0.2 MP1]

Hi there,
Is there any webinar or online courses to learn some things in NXOpen via vb.net or python or any language?

Gears Phenom

I guess Siemens would provide some training, contact GTAC for information.

I'm afraid its been so long since I started prgoramming in NXOpen (25+ years) I haven't had a training course in a looooong time...

thanks for your reply. May i know where can i access GTAC and is there any eligibility criteria for that?

Gears Phenom

GTAC is HERE , you'll find phine numbers for all countries etc.

Also, depending on how you purchased NX, you could speak to your Siemens salesperson if you bought direct, or your VAR if you bought that way.

Highlighted

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Professional programmers often say that VB is "old fashioned" or "baby-ish" or "clumsy".

Don't listen to them. VB.NET is a modern language, and it has roughly the same capabilities as other .NET languages like C# that are more fashionable.

As far as I know, there are only two things wrong with VB:

(1) It's quite verbose (more than C# and Python, anyway). But this doesn't really matter very much -- a good IDE will do a lot of the typing for you, anyway

(2) It's not getting as much development love as C# at Microsoft, so it's falling behind a little bit. This doesn't matter very much, either. You probably won't use all of the current capabilities, so lack of new ones won't bother you.

In my view, the best language to use with NX/Open is the one you already know (which is VB, in your case). 

Also, VB is a good choice because it's very widely used in the NX community, so it's easy to get help.

山田
yamada

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Bear these points in mind:

• Programming languagues are a means of communication.
    • You are communicating to the computer what you want to do! It is nothing more and nothing less. A computer gives you a choice of languages you use to talk to it.
  • Circumstances will dictate what language you use. Things like:
    • Are there other practitioners in my field who code in the same language.
    • Are there tools available to make my work efficient.
    • Is the choice of language dictated by my employer.
    • Are there libraries available for me to use with my choice of programming language.
    • What is the cost to use the language e.g. royalties, tool costs, etc.
  • Even if you think you picked the wrong language to learn, it is ok. Once you know one, it is easy to learn another. The concepts of languages tend to be similar - only the syntax is different.
  • Learn to separate the wheat from the chaff. The industry tends to love jargon. e.g. OOD
    • Over the past couple of decades, I have seen really good OO code written in C and really good functional code written in C++.
    • What you do and the principles you follow tend to depend on the problem you have to solve and the culture in the place where you solve the problem.
  • A programming language is a means to an end. Not the end.
    • The problem you want to solve tends to be more important than the programming language you use to solve it.
  • In summary,
    • Learn a language that you and people around you use and
    • Be open to the fact that circumstances will dictate that you might have to learn another one - and that is ok. Learning new things is fun.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

About the only *technical* issue with the NX API programming languages is (or at least at one point, was) that certain legacy (UF_*) routines used unions, and not many other languages support them, so there may be *very occasional* legacy calls which don't have a modern equivalent, or at least a wrapper.  I'm not sure what they are, and Siemens may have wrapped them all by now, but it isn't really a reason to use C/C++ over another language.

Note I started when the *only* language supported was FORTRAN.  (I can even tell you why in the REALLY REALLY old "UFnnnn" and "UCnnnn" calls, where "nnnn" is 3 or 4 digits, why some are UF and some are UC)

Most of my "big" API programs are written in C/C++ (due to inertia), but alot of my smaller stuff (and all my journals) are written in VB.

I also write a lot of CAM stuff (post customization) in tcl.

As @Solid said, a language is a means to an end, not the end.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I do Java mostly, but I also do C, C++, C#, and Python.

I would like to see a wider Java base, so I am trying to post more often on the site. I think it is all pretty well supported, and if you are calling NX API's they are relatively the same, regardless of which language you choose.

NXOpen Developer, Java, C#, C++, C, Python