Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"mapping" groups between an idealised and its fem part

Phenom
Phenom

to all

Does anyone know if there is a way of “importing” groups between an idealised part (i_prt) and a fem part (.fem)? I have created a few groups to organise feature the way I am most likely to display them in my i_part and these are “lost” when one goes to the .fem. It seems that there is no “relation” between the geo in the both parts as the description and ID are different (fem only have polygon bodies). I had in mind some kind of program to do the mapping but looks like an impossible task

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Regards

Production: NX9.0.3.4, NX10.0.2.6
Development: VB.NET (amateur level !)
6 REPLIES

Re: "mapping" groups between an idealised and its fem part

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

If abstraction is done in the FEM part, there will not be a 1 to 1 mapping between the geometry in the CAD/idealized part and the FEM part.

You can query the relationship between the two using UF_SF_map_object_to_current_part

Phenom
Phenom

thanks JimB for the info. Much appreciated. For 'UF_SF_map_object_to_current_part', the doc only states: Wrapper method for UF_SF_map_object_to_current_part. Which is so helpful if you're not a programmer! I litterarly have no idea where to start

So could anyone who knows/understands this thing give me a (big) push ? In my none-programmer's head the work flow is something like

from the FEM

list all groups in the Idealized part

select 1 group

for this group, loop through object(?)

Returns mapped object (in FEM) if possible

if map is true then add it to a newly created group in the FEM

in other words it's about "copying" the groups across between the Idealized and FEM part

Thanks

Regards

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

selex_ct wrote:

thanks JimB for the info. Much appreciated. For 'UF_SF_map_object_to_current_part', the doc only states: Wrapper method for UF_SF_map_object_to_current_part. Which is so helpful if you're not a programmer! I litterarly have no idea where to start

While I have no idea how to use this function, you might want to search UGanswer (whatever its called now) to see if you can find an example.

As far as the docs go, when you see that, you need to look in the older API docs for the full description.

In the NX10 docs (note in NX10 the prog docs are not installed by default):

programming tools -> "click here" -> NX Open -> Open for C/C++ -> Open C reference guide -> click on "UF_SF" in the list at left -> click on the function in the list on  the left.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Yes, the basic workflow you listed looks correct to me.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

As an occasional FEA user, I'm curious as to what these "groups" are that you have created and what would be accomplished by mapping them to the FEM file?

I'm hoping to learn something new here...

Phenom
Phenom

Hi cowsky1

Consider the following example/case. In the idealised part, you extract a lot of mid surfaces, you can then group them in a "logical" hierarchy (something making sense to the FEA eng. !)

group 1 = Horizontal stiffeners

group 2 = Vertical stiffeners

group 3 = Main Rear Wall

group 4 = Rear Wall Reinforcement

etc

I found doing so makes life a bit easier to display things

Now when you "import" the desired bodies into your FEM part, the organisation of the geometry is lost and one needs re-create similar group (if one wants the geo to be organised in a similar fashion)

In my test case a sheet body (86) (idelised part) is "mapped" to polygon body (2640)

Would it be nice to be able to have a button/shortcut called "map group i_prt ---> FEM"?

My preliminary thoughts are something like that (as a occasional programmer !)

in the FEM

get associated i_prt

in i_prt list all the groups (with geo!)

select groups to map

for each group selected

For each geo in group

find "map"
        if map=true then add polygon body ID to a list

Next geo

if ListMappedPolygoneID.Lenght <> 0 Then

create group in FEM
       add mapped polygone ID to newly created group

next group