Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Break corner in sheetmetal vs. Blend / chamfer in modeling

PLM World Member Enthusiast PLM World Member Enthusiast
PLM World Member Enthusiast

I was going through some everyday sheetmetal modeling when I started wonder about one detail. Why is there a difference in break corner when compared to modeling features? One can choose Blend or Chamfer from break corner. Difference to modeling features is that in modeling you see handles which can be used to define or redefine inputs. In sheetmetal break corner you only have preview. I am missing this option in sheetmetal. Attached image shows this in sheetmetal only as selected edge and then previewed blend or chamfer.

What do others think?

-Nicolas

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Break corner in sheetmetal vs. Blend / chamfer in modeling

Phenom
Phenom

@MMNH

Hi Nicolas,

One big difference between the two;
In Sheet Metal you can click a face and all the corners of that face will get the chamfer/radius. Having an asymmetrical chamfer would make it pretty impossible to keep that functionality. Also chamfer/radius in sheet metal only allows you to pick corners from thickness face to thickness face.
In modeling you’re unlimited. I would add the modeling blend and chamfer buttons in the sheet metal environment and use them wisely on a sheet metal part. 😉

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
2x NX 12.0.2.9 Mach Designer
on Win10 64bit
NX Beta Tester with focus on Sheet Metal
Command Finder is your friend

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I'm happy for input and comment in this area, break corner has not been enhanced or modified for as long as I've been involved in sheet metal.

What do you guys do if you need to prep an edge for welding on thicker plate as below?  Is that a switch to Modeling?

2019-01-23 09_57_17-Siemens NX - Modeling.png

However this is not an open invitiation implying we are about to enhance Break Corner!  Just interested in your views through the usual ER process.

Dave

Phenom
Phenom

@Dave_Walker

Hi Dave,

Yes, switch to modeling.

In those cases we now also have the Flat Pattern with "time stamp"

Define the flat pattern before those weld preps and you're done.

That's how we do it now. It's become very elegant.

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
2x NX 12.0.2.9 Mach Designer
on Win10 64bit
NX Beta Tester with focus on Sheet Metal
Command Finder is your friend
Highlighted

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Nicolas,

Frank mentioned already one advantage for Break Corner vs. Edge Blend/Chamfer when you click a face all related corners are selected.

break_corner.png

As long as you use it for planar corners there is no big benefit (Case #1 and #2).

What I really like is case #3. The Break Corners follows here the Sheet Metal rules. Try that with the Edge Blend in Modeling.

But there is always room for improvement :-) In Case #4 Break Corner is doing something, but not 100% correct (I will open an ER for that).

Case #5 cannot be done by Break Corner, here we use a workaround with Closed Corner with V cutout and Remove System generated Bend Reliefs etc. - was mentioned in ER 8949289.

Thomas

Break corner in sheetmetal vs. Blend / chamfer in modeling

PLM World Member Enthusiast PLM World Member Enthusiast
PLM World Member Enthusiast

I was going through some everyday sheetmetal modeling when I started wonder about one detail. Why is there a difference in break corner when compared to modeling features? One can choose Blend or Chamfer from break corner. Difference to modeling features is that in modeling you see handles which can be used to define or redefine inputs. In sheetmetal break corner you only have preview. I am missing this option in sheetmetal. Attached image shows this in sheetmetal only as selected edge and then previewed blend or chamfer.

What do others think?

-Nicolas

NX Sheet Metal
NX Sheet Metal

This group is dedicated to the discussion of Sheet Metal in NX.

Members (97)