Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Cannot remove internal bodies in a during shell command: intended for convert to sheetmetal

Theorist
Theorist

@ dave_walker, cannot remove all internal bodies to make it ready for "convert to sheetmetal" . some bodies are removed, not all. Alert comes "This operation cannot make multiple bodies. this holes are required, because this cut-out holes provides as "edge rip" flat pattern

Capture3.JPGInternal bodies came from holesCapture2.JPGAt some stages of remove, alert comes, cannot remove rest faces Shell.JPGshell command, trying to remove internal bodiesShell 1.JPGHoles created from extrude> substruct operation

7 REPLIES

Re: Cannot remove internal bodies in a during shell command: intended for convert to sheetmetal

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello @Omar_bd,

It is not clear to me what you are trying to achieve here?

For convert to sheet metal to work, the input body should already look like a sheet metal part.  Maybe a different techique is required for you?

Can you provide a model that represents the desired shape (ignore rips for now) so I can better understand your design intent?

Thanks,

Dave

Re: Cannot remove internal bodies in a during shell command: intended for convert to sheetmetal

Theorist
Theorist

desired shape.JPGDesired shape (conical bend involved): required to be flattable

front part.JPGto make it flattable, Edge rip is required along red line. at top side, rip is done by extrude(substruction) in solid model

Theorist
Theorist

ultimtae shape.JPGThe ultimate shape required as above: cannot make it ready for convert to sheetmetal thru shell command

Siemens Phenom

Hi @Omar_bd,

This shape may be a little too complex for a simple Convert to Sheet Metal operation.  if you can't even create the shell in modeling then it is an unlikely candidate.

Try converting just parts of the design and do not define the rips before conversion, do it during.

Other options are Sheet Metal from Solid or the Forming Flattening tool in Modeling (image below is my effort)

2018-04-30 12_56_06-Siemens NX - Modeling.jpg

Finally, if you can't model it directly in Sheet Metal then it is unlikely that Convert to Sheet Metal will process it - after all, that is the purpose.

Best of luck,

Dave

Theorist
Theorist
@Dave_Walker,
I did it through shell operation and then rips(extrude- substruct), But the flatten gives some errors.

Theorist
Theorist
@Dave_Walker,
Can you attach me this flatten forming files you done for me?

Siemens Phenom
Sorry, I didn't save it, you can create it yourself with the flattening and forming tool if you have the license.
Highlighted

Cannot remove internal bodies in a during shell command: intended for convert to sheetmetal

Theorist
Theorist

@ dave_walker, cannot remove all internal bodies to make it ready for "convert to sheetmetal" . some bodies are removed, not all. Alert comes "This operation cannot make multiple bodies. this holes are required, because this cut-out holes provides as "edge rip" flat pattern

Capture3.JPGInternal bodies came from holesCapture2.JPGAt some stages of remove, alert comes, cannot remove rest faces Shell.JPGshell command, trying to remove internal bodiesShell 1.JPGHoles created from extrude> substruct operation

NX Sheet Metal
NX Sheet Metal

This group is dedicated to the discussion of Sheet Metal in NX.

Members (75)