Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Closed Corner with overlap; What side gets the overlap?

Gears Legend Gears Legend
Gears Legend

Hi all,

A long standing "problem"

Making a closed corner with overlap always is a guess what side to pick first. There is a difference in behavior when doing one feature per corner or when doing several corners in one feature. I advise to do corner per corner in cases with overlap is needed.

But still, wouldn't it be a nice addition to have e switch button in the dialog? And then just go for the desired solution by looking at the preview?

2016-10-13_04.gifNX Sheet metal Closed Corner with Overlap

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
2x NX 11.0.2.7 Mach Designer
on Win7 64bit
NX Beta Tester with focus on Sheet Metal
Command Finder is your friend
3 REPLIES

Re: Closed Corner with overlap; What side gets the overlap?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
Hi Frank,

It's still on our list. So far it has dropped 'below the line'. There's only so much resource available and its priority was deemed lower that the other projects we have planned. It will be a candidate for the next release - let's see what happens when Clive does the planning.

Dave

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Frank,

which web overlaps the other is dependend on the order how you select the bends. I bet in your case, you selected first the left and then the right.

Maybe no additional switch is needed. Documentation or user support could be better. Maybe mouse over on the "Select Adjecent Faces", or a hint during the selection.

With the order how it's done I'm not happy. But I think it's subjective.

During writing, maybe you are right, especially when the overlap side has to be canged (Edit with Rollback), then a switch would be nice.

Thomas

Gears Legend

Hallo Thomas,

I know the order in which you pick the sides is important. But if you have several corners within the same feature, the logic is no longer consistent. Also with the miter option active, which we always try to use, there are more problems regarding the picking order. (IR8298885)

For Dave: Now that I think of it;

maybe it is a very easy change to alter the text in the command line:

Now it says "Select bend face adjacent to corner or deselect a corner edge"

You might want to change this (only when overlapping is selected) to:

"Select bend face adjacent to corner (second selected face will have the overlap) or deselect a corner edge"

at least as a user you then have a gentle reminder to know which one to pick first.

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
on Win7 64bit
Highlighted

Closed Corner with overlap; What side gets the overlap?

Gears Legend

Hi all,

A long standing "problem"

Making a closed corner with overlap always is a guess what side to pick first. There is a difference in behavior when doing one feature per corner or when doing several corners in one feature. I advise to do corner per corner in cases with overlap is needed.

But still, wouldn't it be a nice addition to have e switch button in the dialog? And then just go for the desired solution by looking at the preview?

2016-10-13_04.gifNX Sheet metal Closed Corner with Overlap

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
on Win7 64bit
NX Sheet Metal
NX Sheet Metal

This group is dedicated to the discussion of Sheet Metal in NX.

Members (84)