Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dimple feature

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

I'm not able to create dimple feature on unbended sheet metal part. Attached the part.

I'm try to do on sketch_002.

Thank you...

Using NX 11 / RuleDesigner PDM

5 REPLIES

Re: Dimple feature

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi @cubalibre00,

It seems the feature is failing because of the zero punch radius set and how that interacts with the bend area.  Do you really want a zero punch radius?

I can get the feature to succeed with a non zero punch radius - even 0.001.  I'm guessing this may be a Parasolid limitation.

2017-09-21 08_49_56-Clipboard.jpg

By the way, you are using a different sketch.  Sketch_002 also works with a non-zero punch radius.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Cubalibre,

I confirm what Dave wrote. Nevertheless I think you should open a PR. IMHO what you try to do should be possible w/o Workaround.

I've opened some tickets regarding Dimple/Bead over/into bend in the past. All have been fixed.

One supermarket chain here has the slogan: "Every day a little bit better." Same is valid for NX Sheet Metal...

Best Regards,

Thomas

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hey Thomas,

I take your point however what sheet metal manufacturing process can achieve true zero radius?

We strive to make sheet metal better however do not spend too much time making it work for cases that cannot be manufactured.

Our vision for sheet metal is:

"Improving the quality and reducing the cost of sheet metal parts by producing an accurate sheet metal pattern as the correct input for part manufacture"

Dave

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Dave_Walker,

thank you for the solution. I put zero value because I'm replicating a 2D drawing into NX. I don't have the real part to verify if it's manufactured with zero or not zero value.

Thank you...

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Dave,

good question. You are right. But on the hand side design/production is not always 100% true science. We work a lot with simplification. So 0 or 0.001 is no difference in the real world.

The Point is if 0 makes no sense, then it should not be possible.

I see no "reason" why 0 punch radius works for the dimple on the flat face, but not in the bend.

A 0 die radius can be done in all cases. When I uncheck Round Dimple Edges all edges are 0.

These unexplained differences/exceptions make it difficult for the users. They just get a message that it does not work - no further hint.

Of course you are right, in a priority list this case would be on the lower end.

Best Regards,

Thomas

Highlighted

Dimple feature

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

I'm not able to create dimple feature on unbended sheet metal part. Attached the part.

I'm try to do on sketch_002.

Thank you...

NX Sheet Metal
NX Sheet Metal

This group is dedicated to the discussion of Sheet Metal in NX.

Members (80)