Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Discussion about flat pattern definition and export problem with edge only defining x-direction

PLM World Member Dreamer PLM World Member Dreamer
PLM World Member Dreamer

Hi,

Posting one topic that prevents using sheetmetal tool for flat pattern export. This is about pieces not having an edge that could be used to define x- direction. Flat pattern cannot be created without taking the tic off from moving to absolut csys box. If piece is modeled to a non x-y plane the flat pattern will then export as a single line which is seen from x-y direction. Workaround is to use dxf/dwg exporter.

How is this seen by others? We have a custom Nxopen program that bypasses this predicament among other things I will post later.

Attached a description with screen caps

-Nicolas  

5 REPLIES

Re: Discussion about flat pattern definition and export problem with edge only defining x-direction

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Nicolas,
While we intend to enhance this in near-future projects (enabling selection of a CSYS for flat pattern orientation) , may I suggest a work-around that may help.

In your part, can you add an extra internal cutout that has the correct direction, then ignore internal cutouts on the flat pattern? If you have other internal cutouts, then maybe deleting the extra cutout in the output file.

Re: Discussion about flat pattern definition and export problem with edge only defining x-direction

Creator
Creator

Oh Nicolas, it seems telepathy really exists :-)

I had this morning a small meeting with key users and we discussed mainly the documentation for update training (NX 8.5 -> NX 10). For many years we have an own function to export FP DXFs. Even before NX Sheet Metal - we started with UG V16 (SMD). We still use that software. Nevertheless we provide both Export Functions (ours and SPLM). In the past the DXF layers did not match with these in NX Sheet Metal. This makes issues in the follow up processes. OK - this is solved now, and I hoped I can get rid of our Export SW.

BUT then I was pointed by somebody to exactly the issue you have. So I can confirm it. I looked in UG Answers and found ticket 7459900 "Export Flat Pattern creates single line in DXF file" where GTAC said they should explicitly define the direction in FP (Orientation -> Move to Abs. CSYS). IMHO this should not be necessary. I see that Orientation option only use to define the orientation in 2D of the FP. It would expect the Exp.FP function exports exactly the FP as I see it in the FP View (From above, not from the side). I cannot imagine in which cases it makes sense to have the DXF from the side... 

Best Regards,

Thomas

Creator
Creator

Hi Dave,

I (and my users) - and I think I speak also for Nicolas - we just want to click on button, I dialog pops up, we click "OK", (the previous settings are still the same) and the DXF is exported with no further input regarding orientation in this or another function before. The DXF should just have the same orientation as in the Flat Pattern view. This is what our old tool is doing and I think this does also Nicolas' tool.

Best Regards,

Thomas

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
I totally agree. As I said above "...we intend to enhance this in near-future projects (enabling selection of a CSYS for flat pattern orientation)".

Gears Legend Gears Legend
Gears Legend

Hi all,

I think I have seen the described problem in the past too, but it's a long time ago now.

What we're missing is the added possibility to use any linear curve or circular arc that is situated on the chosen upward face when defining the flat pattern. The scope of selectable items should thus be enlarged. Prerequisit will probably be that the selected curve should be situated on the upward face of the flat pattern definition.

Greetings,

Frank

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
2x NX 11.0.2.7 Mach Designer
on Win7 64bit
NX Beta Tester with focus on Sheet Metal
Command Finder is your friend
Highlighted

Discussion about flat pattern definition and export problem with edge only defining x-direction

PLM World Member Dreamer PLM World Member Dreamer
PLM World Member Dreamer

Hi,

Posting one topic that prevents using sheetmetal tool for flat pattern export. This is about pieces not having an edge that could be used to define x- direction. Flat pattern cannot be created without taking the tic off from moving to absolut csys box. If piece is modeled to a non x-y plane the flat pattern will then export as a single line which is seen from x-y direction. Workaround is to use dxf/dwg exporter.

How is this seen by others? We have a custom Nxopen program that bypasses this predicament among other things I will post later.

Attached a description with screen caps

-Nicolas  

NX Sheet Metal
NX Sheet Metal

This group is dedicated to the discussion of Sheet Metal in NX.

Members (80)