Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Exporting a flat pattern

Genius
Genius

Hi,

I am trying to export a flat pattern as dxf directly out of the Model View, not the drawing, because the supplier needs a 1:1 outline for cutting and it doesn't fit on any standard sheet size.

The outline is exported without a problem, but what I have noticed is that the holes do not appear in the FLAT-PATTERN#1 Model View, but are clearly there in the flat solid and when placed on a drawing.

Here is an example:

flat solid.png

flat pattern.png

Is there a way to make the holes visible in the Model View as well?

This is a poblem when, for example, the holes are also lasered, not drilled, so they should be present in the dxf.

NX 9.0.3.4 MP10

4 REPLIES

Re: Exporting a flat pattern

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello @hajnal_25,

I don't have this issue (even in NX9), can you upload the part or send it to me in a private message and I'll take a look.

Gears Legend Gears Legend
Gears Legend

@hajnal_25

Did you use the standard export Flat Pattern feature?

There you have some options on what you will see in the export and what not.

2018-03-20_01.gifNX Export Flat Pattern options

The export file will always be scale 1:1 and it will have the same orientation and upward face the way you created the Flat Pattern feature.

This is what we constantly use.

Of course it is not normal that the Flat Solid isn't showing holes/cutouts that are present in the "regular" model.

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
2x NX 11.0.2.7 Mach Designer
on Win7 64bit
NX Beta Tester with focus on Sheet Metal
Command Finder is your friend

Genius
Genius

Exporting it this way worked perfectly, what I did before was select the flattened model view as my work view, and then file->export->dxf and selected the lines but the holes were not visible.

Doing an export flat pattern is much simpler and quicker.

Thanks!

Gears Legend Gears Legend
Gears Legend

@hajnal_25

BTW1; you can change Flat Pattern Export settings in your customer defaults. It's worth the look.

If your company uses Trumpf machines for laser or punching you might also be interested in the GEO export file of the Flat Pattern.

BTW2; Every time you create a Flat Pattern feature, in the background NX will create a internal Flat Solid feature too. If you would need it, just RMB the Flat Pattern and "Make External". Of course you can create as many Flat Solids as you want.  You can also create multiple Flat Patterns but since NX12 you can put a time stamp on its creation. That makes it very interesting if a Flat Pattern is going to be different compared to the final design. E.g. milling edges after laser cutting, drilling holes to a close tolerance after being lasercut undersized, etc.

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
2x NX 11.0.2.7 Mach Designer
on Win7 64bit
NX Beta Tester with focus on Sheet Metal
Command Finder is your friend
Highlighted

Exporting a flat pattern

Genius
Genius

Hi,

I am trying to export a flat pattern as dxf directly out of the Model View, not the drawing, because the supplier needs a 1:1 outline for cutting and it doesn't fit on any standard sheet size.

The outline is exported without a problem, but what I have noticed is that the holes do not appear in the FLAT-PATTERN#1 Model View, but are clearly there in the flat solid and when placed on a drawing.

Here is an example:

flat solid.png

flat pattern.png

Is there a way to make the holes visible in the Model View as well?

This is a poblem when, for example, the holes are also lasered, not drilled, so they should be present in the dxf.

NX 9.0.3.4 MP10

NX Sheet Metal
NX Sheet Metal

This group is dedicated to the discussion of Sheet Metal in NX.

Members (79)