Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Flange Skecth in Nx 12

Dreamer
Dreamer

Hello everybody,

I have a question.

I used to have the ability to edit sketch of a flange easily before NX 12, but I when I tried in NX 12 the option to edit sketch of a flange is no longer available. Is it available from another submenu or another way implemented? Or do I just simply miss a point?

NX12

image.png    image.png

Thank you

1 REPLY

Re: Flange Skecth in Nx 12

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello @Sezer,

Please take a look at this post and the statement below:

Thanks,

Dave

Removal of Sketch from Flange

There are good reasons for removing the internal sketch from the flange command in NX12.  The team deliberated long and hard weighing up the pros and cons of this action and we are confident it is the right approach.

I'm sure all would agree to have a more robust and reliable model always wins, so the prime reason is indeed the (large) number of PRs we continually had to fix due to the internal sketch.

Some key benefits:

• A more stable feature and improves the consistent output for downstream operations like copy paste, mirror, UDF.
  • Reduces potential update failures
  • Avoids errors introduced through editing the sketch incorrectly.  This happens frequently for less experienced users and some limitations were imposed (like editing the width)
  • Removes the creation of the 'hot edge'
  • FlangeHotEdge.png
  • Removal of sketch construction edges
  • Enabled the introduction of the multi-flange functionality - a huge productivity benefit reducing the overall number of features and allowing control over multiple instances together
  • Improved performance

Some further background…

I understand that this could appear like a backward step however it sets us up for more reliability and was absolutely necessary to support the multi-flange ability - and to support future planned functionality.

Have we taken away the ability to create complex flange shapes? Absolutely not, all shapes can still be created.  Yes, it needs further features; for example Normal Cutout (to remove material), Secondary Tab (to add material) and other operations such as Bend Taper.

I am confident that the productivity gains from multiple flanges in a single feature together with more reliability re-assures me we have made the correct decision here; and that was echoed during the NX12 beta testing.

Additionally there is the new multi-bend tab functionality that enables simple parts to be created in a single step from a sketch profile - I encourage users to try that.

Highlighted

Flange Skecth in Nx 12

Dreamer
Dreamer

Hello everybody,

I have a question.

I used to have the ability to edit sketch of a flange easily before NX 12, but I when I tried in NX 12 the option to edit sketch of a flange is no longer available. Is it available from another submenu or another way implemented? Or do I just simply miss a point?

NX12

image.png    image.png

Thank you

NX Sheet Metal
NX Sheet Metal

This group is dedicated to the discussion of Sheet Metal in NX.

Members (75)