Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Flat pattern with callout

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

I attach a sheet metal part with relative drafting. If the operator follow the drafting indication, the part will be produced wrong.

I would like to understand why we can add view that can create wrong parts.

We we take the views that generate NX as correct, we do not dream of controlling them

Meybe some roles to create flat pattern and relative view in drafting to avoid create wrong views.

Thank you...

Using NX 11 / RuleDesigner PDM

15 REPLIES

Re: Flat pattern with callout

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Hi @cubalibre00,

Can you explain exactly what the error is?  Please provide a little more information about the result you get compared to the result you expect.

thanks

Dave

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Dave_Walker,

thank you for the rapid support. As you can see in the drafting, there is the flat pattern view with callout. In Italy 'SU' is 'UP', then if the operator use the suggestions present in the flat pattern view, he produces a wrong part.

I used standard sheet metal command and the view wasn't manipulated.

Where I wrong ?

I used setting in a wrong way ?

There is a limitation into NX that I need to know to avoid this errors ?

Produced parts had been scrapped.

Thank you...

Legend
Legend

In what version did you create the original file and the flat patten?

The way it is build seems very unefficient to me.

I remember that the flat pattern direction once had an error. Could it be that this flat pattern was generated in a version tha contained this error?  Normally it should work as expected. But I see that your flat pattern view indeed has a wrong direction.

What else that could have happened is that you made a mistake in the Italian translation; meaning switch UP-DOWN when customizing the callout. I remember I once made that mistake myself.

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
2x NX 11.0.2.7 Mach Designer
on Win7 64bit
NX Beta Tester with focus on Sheet Metal
Command Finder is your friend

Siemens Legend

Hi @cubalibre00,

I'm afraid NX has given you what you asked for.  If you look at the flat pattern feature in part 4-121168, the underside face is selected as 'upward face'.

2017-10-13 09_02_21-Clipboard.jpg

So the bend direction UP is indeed correct.

Unless I still misunderstand your issue.

thanks

Dave

Visionary
Visionary

Hi,

I did a look and can confirm it's wrong. I have used an English NX 12 and when I add the FP view again in the drawing it shows "Up".

Modeling stuff seems was done before NX 8.5. Convert and FP in NX 10.

After Renew Convert and FP - it did not change. - but maybe I should check this once more.

I deleted (in 12) the Convert and FP and added the view again and the shape is the same, but now it shows "Down" (correct). Seems something in Convert or FP between NX10.0.3 MP7 and NX 12.0.0 Beta IP 26.

Thomas

Visionary
Visionary

Yep, Dave is right - as always. And I have hit the trap Smiley Frustrated

Siemens Legend
the part was created in 1998 in UG V13. Not many CAD systems can still read files like this - that's compatibility for you Smiley Wink

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Dave_Walker,

thank you for the clarifications. Can you explain what do you mean for selecting upward face ?

There is rule that must be always used ?

I tried to read the help but :

Lets you select a face on the part.

The normal direction associated with this face is used to specify the upward direction for bend regions.

Usually I select the upward face that simulate the orientation of the sheet metal plate under the press break.

In the case I reported here, I don't think to do wrong, the part was modeled reversed, but I selected the upward face as was modeled and created with flange up.

Thank you...

Legend
Legend

Dave,

I have to disagree with you; The part is asymmetric because of the hole of 20mm.

The flat pattern view shows that hole on the wrong side.

BTW the translation UP-DOWN was correct.

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
2x NX 11.0.2.7 Mach Designer
on Win7 64bit
NX Beta Tester with focus on Sheet Metal
Command Finder is your friend
Highlighted

Flat pattern with callout

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

I attach a sheet metal part with relative drafting. If the operator follow the drafting indication, the part will be produced wrong.

I would like to understand why we can add view that can create wrong parts.

We we take the views that generate NX as correct, we do not dream of controlling them

Meybe some roles to create flat pattern and relative view in drafting to avoid create wrong views.

Thank you...

NX Sheet Metal
NX Sheet Metal

This group is dedicated to the discussion of Sheet Metal in NX.

Members (55)
User Rank
Enthusiast
Siemens Dreamer
Dreamer
Creator
Enthusiast
Theorist
Solution Partner Dreamer
Dreamer
Dreamer
Dreamer