Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How do I define the shape a folded flange in NX12?

Dreamer
Dreamer

In previous versions of NX I could sketch within the fold flange command to define the shape of the folded flange. In NX12 this ability seems to have been removed?

Bit of a backward step....

Any help in this greatfully recieved.

6 REPLIES

Re: How do I define the shape a folded flange in NX12?

Gears Legend Gears Legend
Gears Legend

The posibility to sketch in the flange has been the reason for many IR's.

So development has chosen to remove that possibility but they gave a much better "bend taper" feature in return.

also the "tab" feature was significantly improved.

So try to find new ways of working (I'm not trying to say workarounds)

I bet Dave Walker will have his say too on this topic.

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
2x NX 11.0.2.7 Mach Designer
on Win7 64bit
NX Beta Tester with focus on Sheet Metal
Command Finder is your friend

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Thank you Frank.

This also has been added to NX Help (TDOC) as a note which states, "

To better support multiple instances within a feature, the embedded sketch functionality has been removed, which improves stability of the flange feature.

You can use Unbend, Rebend, Cutout, Bend Taper and so on, to customize flange shapes."

Siemens Enthusiast Siemens Enthusiast
Siemens Enthusiast

In fact, removal of sketch form Flange makes it more stable and increases the consistence output for secondary like copy paste, mirror, UDF.
It also helps to reduce any update failure for flange because of sketch when it was internal.

Dreamer
Dreamer

Thanks for the advise.

Personally I never had many problems with sketcher in the fold flange command, and those I did, where down to me making a mistake, which was easily rectified.

Rather than improving this command, its removal seems to me to be an easy way out for Siemens. With all due respect, bend, rebend, cutout and taper, dont allow me to produce a more complex shape. The only way now seems to be using secondary tabs attached to an initial bend.

I have been using NX now for a number of years, but I am finding this ''update, so called 'improvement', a bit of a pain. and a backward step.

Gears Legend Gears Legend
Gears Legend

Hi Nozza,

I feel somewhat the same about it. I'm not on production with NX12 yet so I didn't run in to issues yet.

The Flange command has significantly changed however; e.g. multiple flanges that can even have different lengths and all this in one feature. I'm guessing having to maintain a sketch in the "new" flange command also would have made those improvements impossible.

Maybe there can be a future development/improvement to bring a sort of sketch back...?

Keep in mind that some of the sheet metal features in NX originated from Solid Edge. And not all Solid Edge functionality was easily transferable to NX workflows. I can very well imagine that this inside sketch was one of them.

I could also get started about the Lofted Flange... but that's another story. This feature also needs some reprogramming-cleanup Smiley Wink Or maybe even "tabula rasa" reprogramming.

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
2x NX 11.0.2.7 Mach Designer
on Win7 64bit
NX Beta Tester with focus on Sheet Metal
Command Finder is your friend

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Hello @Nozza,

Thanks for reaching out to the community on this one.

As has been mentioned, there are good reasons for removing the internal sketch form the flange command.  The team deliberated long and hard weighing up the pros and cons of this action and we are confident it is the right approach.

I'm sure all would agree to have a more robust and reliable model always wins, so the prime reason is indeed the (large) number of PRs we had open due to the internal sketch.  It is good to hear you have had no issues using the sketch however for some - maybe less experienced users - it is easy to build-in problems.

I understand that it appears like a backward step however I can assure you that it sets us up for more reliability and was absolutely necessary to support the multi-flange ability - and to support future planned functionality.

Have we taken away the ability to create complex flange shapes? Absoultely not, all shapes can still be created.  Yes, it needs further features like those mentioned and Normal Cutout (to remove material) and Secondary Tab (to add material).

I am confident that the productivity gains from multiple flanges in a single feature together with more reliability re-assures me we have made the correct decision here; and that was echoed during beta testing.

Additionally there is the new multi-bend tab functionality that enables simple parts to be created in a single step from a sketch profile - I encourage you to experiment with that too.

Thanks to @frank_nx, @khake and @Amol_Badgujar for your inputs.

Feel free to reach out to me for more information at any time.

thanks,

Dave

Highlighted

How do I define the shape a folded flange in NX12?

Dreamer
Dreamer

In previous versions of NX I could sketch within the fold flange command to define the shape of the folded flange. In NX12 this ability seems to have been removed?

Bit of a backward step....

Any help in this greatfully recieved.

NX Sheet Metal
NX Sheet Metal

This group is dedicated to the discussion of Sheet Metal in NX.

Members (74)