Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Idea for a new functionality; Split Sheet Metal Body à la "Normal Cutout"

Gears Legend Gears Legend
Gears Legend

I'm recently working on a project where I need to split up long sheet metal profiles.

The geometry is coming from a solid created by a 3D scan (STL) So my original sheet metal profile is -unlike the example file- made from scratch; a combination of thickens with offsets, unites, delete bodies and in the end sheet metal from solid.

Things could be made much easier-faster if I could design a single 60 meter profile end then just chop it up at assembly level.

It's an NX10 file BTW.

2017-02-02_41.gifSplit Body with "Normal Cutout" method

Let's hear your thoughts please Smiley Wink

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
2x NX 11.0.2.7 Mach Designer
on Win7 64bit
NX Beta Tester with focus on Sheet Metal
Command Finder is your friend
7 REPLIES

Re: Idea for a new functionality; Split Sheet Metal Body à la "Normal Cutout"

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Frank,

I think some functionality of the "Edge Rip" is leading in this direction. I opened an ER to pimp the Edge Rip. See attachment. This could be also something for etching/engraving. Or cut foil on a sheet metal blank. 

When I got it right, for your example it should be allowed to split the sheet - create a mulitbody part. At the moment you can only cut in with the Edge Rip, not through.

Until now I was only thinking about cutting in a flat sheets, not in 3D.

I would already be glad if I could rip also arcs on a flat solild, not only straight lines :-)

Maybe one step after the other...

Thomas

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Frank,

While the edge rip enhancements are considered, why not look at split body in Modeling, then your flat patterns can be in a single part file (see attached NX10 part).

2017-02-02 10_22_02-NX 10.0.3.4 - Sheet Metal - [SplitBodyAlternateSolution.prt].jpg

Gears Legend

Hi Dave,

I tried that before too, but the convert to sheet metal does not make the sheet metal edges perpendicular.

In fact the split bodies as they are, can be flattened even without the convert to sheet metal.

Somehow that sheet metal intelligence is not lost because of the split body.

I would have hoped that the edge faces would be cleaned up - checked on being perpendicular.

Did you check the draft in my original file? that shows the differences between the "split" and the "normal cutout"

Thanks,

Frank

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
on Win7 64bit

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
Yes, I realized about non-perpendicular edges just after I posted.

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Thanks All

So in summary, we will look at possible enhancements to Edge Rip and also a "sheet metal" split body that would produce perpendicular faces.  Perhaps with some further thought an improved Edge Rip could also split the body into multiple bodies. We'll have to think about that.

BR - Clive

Gears Legend

Or

make the convert to sheet metal so that it checks the edge faces and makes them perpendicular depending on which side of the part you select. (inside face or outside face)

Or

have an extra option in the Cleanup Utility that makes edge faces perpendicular to the "base faces"

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
on Win7 64bit

Gears Legend

Hi Clive,

Thinking of an alternative solution;

What if the Normal Cutout feature would allow creation of multiple bodies?

We could then make a very narrow cutout; I tried this on a part and came to the conclusion that narrow in reality means e.g. for a 3mm sheet thickness the minimal gap width is somewher between 2mm and 2.5mm because of the angle the cutout has across bends.

When crossing bends under 90° the gap can be even 0.05mm:

2017-02-03_43.gifNormal Cutout resulting in Multiple Bodies2017-02-03_44.gifNormal Cutout resulting in Multiple Bodies "proof of cheat"

OK, I cheated Smiley Very Happy

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
on Win7 64bit
Highlighted

Idea for a new functionality; Split Sheet Metal Body à la "Normal Cutout"

Gears Legend

I'm recently working on a project where I need to split up long sheet metal profiles.

The geometry is coming from a solid created by a 3D scan (STL) So my original sheet metal profile is -unlike the example file- made from scratch; a combination of thickens with offsets, unites, delete bodies and in the end sheet metal from solid.

Things could be made much easier-faster if I could design a single 60 meter profile end then just chop it up at assembly level.

It's an NX10 file BTW.

2017-02-02_41.gifSplit Body with "Normal Cutout" method

Let's hear your thoughts please Smiley Wink

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
on Win7 64bit
NX Sheet Metal
NX Sheet Metal

This group is dedicated to the discussion of Sheet Metal in NX.

Members (84)