Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Is NX Sheet Metal good enough?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi all,

Over in the Knowledge Base, there was a response to a post that mentioned NX Sheet Metal:

"Sheet metal in NX was copied from Solid Edge and actually is not best in class respect midrange CAD"

I responded to this comment as below however invite you all to comment.  Is it good enough?  I think we have room for improving, sure.  Is it best in class?  Let me know!

I am always working to make NX Sheet Metal the best it can be and value any constructive feedback.  If you feel that we are missing key functionality - a game changer - let me know below and if you haven't already, raise an ER for it.

Dave

The response...

I have been working with Siemens on NX Sheet Metal for nearly 7 years and always looking to improve and enhance the application.  Let me respond:

• "...copied from Solid Edge...".
    No, the base code is common between the two applications and we spend time each release to maintain that commonality however, NX Sheet Metal has a wealth of features above and beyond Solid Edge capability.
  • "...is not best in class respect midrange CAD...".
    On a direct comparison with competitors I find this hard to substantiate.  True, there are some specific features that NX does not do as well as the competiion in all cases and may be dependent on Industry requirement.  However, on general comparison, our current understanding and feedback is quite the opposite.  I would be interested in your justification for the comments and welcome any ERs you care to raise.

4 REPLIES

Re: Is NX Sheet Metal good enough?

Siemens Visionary Siemens Visionary
Siemens Visionary

I supported customer designers that compared NX sheet metal with Creo and they can do all same geometry realized with Creo,

1) some functionalities are different (no sketch profile cutout inside flange) but it works well with cutout as separate feature

2) some bugs has immediatly fixed

3) NX flat pattern allows to manage better different kind of curve, holes,... in different layer and color. All are consistent in drafting

4) they find limited option in some specific corner extension. I'll collect requirements in next future.

Customer final response was positive.

Gears Legend Gears Legend
Gears Legend

In short, yes it is !

I like the functionality of the new Bend Material Table. No, I love it. It now allows us to create sheet metal parts that immediately resemble reality for any bend tooling at any bend angle. As long as the data is in the table. Correct flat patterns without post-processing.

Export to Trumpf GEO saves us a lot of time.

Closed Corners have become much better over the years, but can use some improvement still.

Sheet Metal From Solid is very good too. The improved Flange command, allowing multiple flanges also is a great improvement.

The Lofted Flange; I only use it for cones. That's the only function inherited from SolidEdge I don't like. But that too is work in progress I hope.

In general the NX toolbox is very complete.

Maybe patterning could use some more speed too; but that is also method dependable.

Huysmans Metalen n.v.
2x NX 11.0.2.7 Mach Designer
on Win7 64bit
NX Beta Tester with focus on Sheet Metal
Command Finder is your friend

Creator
Creator

One positve thing I take from this that I know now there is Knowledge Base Forum :-)

It took a while until I found the article https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/NX-Design-Knowledge-Base/NX-12-0-2-New-Minimal-Loadi...

I don't have much comparison to Sheet Metal functionality from other CAD System. But from what I've seen so far and what coworkers tell who come from other companies NX Sheet Metal is not the worst.

I know a little bit the old Sheet Metal Design (in Modeling) and the first walking attempts of NX Sheet Metal in NX3/NX4. I think this was really bad and this left a lot of burned soil.

During the last years the module made tremendous improvements. In points of stability, usability and speed. I come much quicker to my wished model or flat pattern than years ago.

One statement is "It's clear that the NX focus is on aerospace and ship design. All other types of company category have not listened." I just can say we don't build airplanes or ships (and also no cars). I've opened over the last years about 200 tickets regarding Sheet Metal. PRs are fixed in an acceptable time, several of our ERs have been implemented. SPLM is listening and actioning. At least in this field.

A system is never good enough, but with Sheet Metal reached a good level in NX 12.0.2. Currently we are productive on 10 and change in some months to 12. I'm really looking forward to 12.

Theorist
Theorist

I do believe NX Sheet Metal is very good and continues to get better with each release.  I hope this isnt a feeler from Siemens to see if they should not put efforts into leaving sheetmetal alone for a while. 

I would agree with Thomas regarding the requested changes that have been proposed over the years.  I have been involved with Beta testing and inputting PRs and ERs for the last 5 years and the amount of items that have been addressed from my own requests along with the other sheetmetal beta testers has been well received.  We are working with NX11 currently and hoping to get NX12 or the next version sometime next year, (unfortunately our TC upgrade prevents us from moving as quickly as we would like). 

We haven't gotten to use the sheetmetal table yet due to being on NX11 but can't wait to try it out.  This was a big step forward in making sheetmetal parts smarter and have more information than in the past.

Even though closed corners have come a long way there are still many instances that could be improved to make the software that much better.

NX is the best in my eyes.

Highlighted

Is NX Sheet Metal good enough?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi all,

Over in the Knowledge Base, there was a response to a post that mentioned NX Sheet Metal:

"Sheet metal in NX was copied from Solid Edge and actually is not best in class respect midrange CAD"

I responded to this comment as below however invite you all to comment.  Is it good enough?  I think we have room for improving, sure.  Is it best in class?  Let me know!

I am always working to make NX Sheet Metal the best it can be and value any constructive feedback.  If you feel that we are missing key functionality - a game changer - let me know below and if you haven't already, raise an ER for it.

Dave

The response...

I have been working with Siemens on NX Sheet Metal for nearly 7 years and always looking to improve and enhance the application.  Let me respond:

• "...copied from Solid Edge...".
    No, the base code is common between the two applications and we spend time each release to maintain that commonality however, NX Sheet Metal has a wealth of features above and beyond Solid Edge capability.
  • "...is not best in class respect midrange CAD...".
    On a direct comparison with competitors I find this hard to substantiate.  True, there are some specific features that NX does not do as well as the competiion in all cases and may be dependent on Industry requirement.  However, on general comparison, our current understanding and feedback is quite the opposite.  I would be interested in your justification for the comments and welcome any ERs you care to raise.

NX Sheet Metal
NX Sheet Metal

This group is dedicated to the discussion of Sheet Metal in NX.

Members (75)