Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Modeling features in a Sheet metal part.

Legend
Legend

Is there an easy way to accurately unfold a part that was constructed with a majority of sheet metal features, but has some swept flanges?

unfortunately, I cannot post a sample file publicly. I can possibly send it to GTAC as it's probably covered by NDA

Rob Newcomb, CAD/CNC/Simulation manager
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

Production: NX 12.0.1 / Autoform r7 /WorkNC 2018 r2
Testing:nothing.
PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro
4 REPLIES

Re: Modeling features in a Sheet metal part.

Creator
Creator

Hi Rob,

it's difficult to recommend anything w/o knowing the shape. Maybe you can post a simplified example, reduced to the issue.

- You should always do a convert to sheetmetal after doing something in solid modeling.

- You can try to substitude the sweep with contour flange or advanced flange. Or lofted flange, but that's all looking in a crystal ball.

- You can try the one-step analyze formability or the surface flattening and forming

For flat pattern/unfolding of no-sheetmetal shapes: Easy AND accurately is something I've never heard in that context :-)

Thomas

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Rob (@R_Newcomb,)

As Thomas (@bshkoerner) suggests, if you can post an example of the problem we could look a little further.

One thing to note is that in NX11, Convert to Sheet Metal was enhanced to allow selection of additional bends that you want NX to treat as a complex non-linear bend.  This is not a foolproof solution however may be enough for your purpose?

2017-07-24 08_13_33-NX 12.0.0.24 - Sheet Metal.jpg

thanks

Dave.

Legend
Legend

Thanks, I'll take a look at that additional geometry.snip.PNG

it looks like they modeled a flange then swept it.

Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

HI Rob,

Ah, that geometry would not be supported by the sheet metal application I'm afraid.  Running a flange like that around an edge that traverses different planes is a current limitation and cannot be created or flattened.  That then translates to Convert to Sheet Metal too.  Could I ask you to submit an enhancement request through GTAC with the part uploaded so we have it in our database for future planning.

Thanks

Dave

Highlighted

Modeling features in a Sheet metal part.

Legend
Legend

Is there an easy way to accurately unfold a part that was constructed with a majority of sheet metal features, but has some swept flanges?

unfortunately, I cannot post a sample file publicly. I can possibly send it to GTAC as it's probably covered by NDA

NX Sheet Metal
NX Sheet Metal

This group is dedicated to the discussion of Sheet Metal in NX.

Members (80)