Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

New Sheet metal material table in NX12

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

I've seen improvement into the Sheet metal material table. As mentioned in other topic inside the NX sheet metal forum, usually, user need to set in NX sheet metal preferences the :

1) Material

2) Thickness

3)  Tool based on the above two choices

It's possible to have some txt examples that have this type of selections ?

Thank you...

Using NX 11 / RuleDesigner PDM

9 REPLIES

Re: New Sheet metal material table in NX12

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Yes, we're working on better documentation for the material table file.  That will be ready before NX12 is released.  I have worked with a number of customers in generating their files based on requirements.  I would be happy to provide examples if you provide more detailed information.

thanks

Dave

Legend
Legend

Is there a way to import material files from other software?

I have a lot of material files in Autoform format from both GM and FCA supplier databases. as well as independent tests

The GM database is in Autoform and Argus

Rob Newcomb, CAD/CNC/Simulation manager
Elmhirst Industries, Specializing in Prototype sheet metal stampings and assemblies

Production: NX 12.0.1 / Autoform r7 /WorkNC 2018 r2
Testing:nothing.
PC: Rave Cadbeast: Intel(R) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.GHz /32gb ram /NVIDIA Quadro P2000 on Win10 Pro

Siemens Phenom

Hi @R_Newcomb

There's not a direct import tool however once you know the difference between the two formats, it should be something Excel could handle with some simple vba code?  I'm not aware of the Autoform or Argus formats.

Remember the material table file is a simple comma delimited text file that can be edited in Excel or other spreadhseet app.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Dave_Walker,

why you don't support Excel for gouge table (Material table) like Solid Edge, SolidWorks, Autoform, etc..

Thank you...

Siemens Phenom

Hi @cubalibre00

This was considered and a number of reasons prevented the implementation in NX12:

1. Excel is not fully functional across multiple platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac).  A platform neutral format is quite expensive to develop.
  2. It was considered to fully support native formats internally for NX12 however no customer ERs exist for this.
  3. The resource estimate was quite high to implement and we felt the effort could be better spent directly on NX functionality - there's a lot in NX12.
  4. Excel is already supported through the csv format.  You can create a file in Excel and save it to csv.  You can use the ".csv" format directly from NX Customer Defaults
  5. Supporting changes in formats driven by Microsoft would be a necessary overhead as they change their application and we try and follow - there would always be inconsistencies (like we've had woth Windows 10 initially).

I did experiment with a vba script to keep my file editing in excel and run the script to push the ".csv" format to the right location on save but my vba skills are not good.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Dave_Walker,

2. ER 1946690 Enhancement Request for sheet_metal_material_table

O Short Description:
    Support sheet_metal_material_table in excel format

O What activity in your process is the software not able to currently handle?
    implement and edit sheet_metal_material_table in a simple manner

O What result are you trying to achieve?
    implement and edit sheet_metal_material_table in a simple manner

O Do you currently have a workaround?
    No, only patience

O Do you have a proposal for the solution you envision NX providing for this capability?
   Like in other command, NX can read sheet_metal_material_table in Excel format

O What is the level of productivity gained from such an enhancement?
    Very hight.

4.Excel is already supported through the csv format.  You can create a file in Excel and save it to csv.  You can use the ".csv" format directly from NX Customer Defaults. HOW ?

Thank you...

Siemens Phenom

Hi @cubalibre00

This ER was implemented in NX9.0.

• Save your material table file with .csv extension
  • Edit file with Excel
  • Save as .csv when complete
  • In Customer defaults, point to the .csv file and NX will read it.

Thanks,

Dave

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @Dave_Walker,

I've opened the sheet_metal_material_table.txt and converted to sheet_metal_material_table.csv.

Change in the customer default.

Now in the syslog file i read this.

Sheet Metal Material Standards : Loading file \\pdm\PDM_CORGHI\Custom_RD_NX8\NexionSite\Materials\sheet_metal_material_table.csv.

Sheet Metal Material Standards : Invalid Block found ==> UNITS,METRIC

Attached my csv file

Thank you...

Siemens Phenom

Hi @cubalibre00

I think this may be due to file encoding.  I renamed your file back to ".txt" and opened it with notepad, then did a Save As = ANSI

2017-07-13 14_20_11-sheet_metal_material_table.txt - Notepad.jpg

Then rename to ".csv" and reload NX.  The error in Syslog is now fixed. I have attached the new file.

Let me know if you have any more problems,

Dave

Highlighted

New Sheet metal material table in NX12

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

I've seen improvement into the Sheet metal material table. As mentioned in other topic inside the NX sheet metal forum, usually, user need to set in NX sheet metal preferences the :

1) Material

2) Thickness

3)  Tool based on the above two choices

It's possible to have some txt examples that have this type of selections ?

Thank you...

NX Sheet Metal
NX Sheet Metal

This group is dedicated to the discussion of Sheet Metal in NX.

Members (79)